• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

just starting (1 Viewer)

fisi7chella

hi
i own a kowa tsn 823m scope with a 20x60 zoom,which by reading these posts
is not a bad outfit for digiscoping.i am not sure what camera to buy, i have
a fuji finepix a345 would this be a suitable camera for this scope?. i would buy
another camera more suitable but considering the cost of attachments,my
budget is limited!!!!.
thanks

Hi
not familiar with your camara, however a couple of points to consider. 1) can you set the ISO I normally set mine at 200, finds this works well considering you are asking the camara to shot down a wacking great lens, 2) does the camara have a timer on the shutter release? I normally focus on the subject and set the shutter a 2 secs and stand back, I find this helps reduce camara shake. hope this helps
Dave

Looking at the specs on dpreview, the a345 does have a 2 second self-timer setting. Dave is right that the whole point of such a setting is to help avoid camera shake on tripod-mounted cameras that don't provide for shutter release cables (i.e. just about all point-and-shoots). Camera shake even on a tripod-mounted camera is a worry with long exposures - just pushing the shutter release button can cause enough shake to cause blurring.

Looking at the specs on dpreview, the a345 does have a 2 second self-timer setting. Dave is right that the whole point of such a setting is to help avoid camera shake on tripod-mounted cameras that don't provide for shutter release cables (i.e. just about all point-and-shoots). Camera shake even on a tripod-mounted camera is a worry with long exposures - just pushing the shutter release button can cause enough shake to cause blurring.
isnt very quick shutter speeds necessary any way because birds dont tend to stay still!

Yeah, but it is pretty hard to get an "action" shot of a bird with digiscoping anyway. Plus, the amount of light reaching the camera can get pretty meager thru the scope, so you often need a slower shutter speed. As I understand it, this is why the Fuji F30 is so popular with digiscopers - you can push the ISO and get faster shutter speeds.

The a345 looks like it's lens would be very suitable for digiscoping and Fuji's lenses are usually good. The spec on DPReview doesn't give too much detail but it doesn't look like it has a screw thread for an adapter (neither does the F30/31 ).
For moving birds and even stationary ones if you take a Continuous Series by holding your finger on the shutter you will reduce the vibration after the first/second image and the third/fourth image should be sharp. The faster the frames/second of the camera the better this works. Anything over 1.5 frames/sec is good.
Neil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back