• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reticle Sight for wildlife photography .... (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

I've a Panasonic G3 which I find an excellent camera except that I find it difficult to track birds in flight. More often than not I'm left with nothing, the tail end of the bird or, when I try to compensate, just the foreparts! Hence I was interested to see the new Olympus Stylus SP 100 (see thread) has a built in 'red dot' sighting gizmo. Then I found you can buy one to slot into the hot shoe of most cameras (see below). However, the cheap price ($39) is doubled for postage to the UK! So can I ask -
a) are they available 'over here'?
b) has anyone had any experience of using such a device? Does it work as promised?

https://gadget.brando.com/wildlife-photography-with-tactical-four-reticle-sight_p01341c073d3.html

Attachments

• Untitled 6.png
    Untitled 6.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 245
I owe you a beer John Cantelo!

That is an AMAZING find - I am having one of those for my camera. (I have one for my spotting scope and it works a treat but never in my wildest did I ever think I could get one for a hot shoe on a camera! legendary gadget!)

Thanks to all.

Ratal, if you get out to Spain when I'm there I'll take you up on your offer .... perhaps you can bring the beers up to our terrace whilst you take photos of those Lesser Kestrels & show me the sight!

There is an exact parallel here with use of reticle sights by "action pistol" target shooters. Back before the lunacy, I watched these guys double-tapping bullseyes in pop-up targets while literally running across the range at full tilt with their "race guns". I'm sure with practice they will open up huge opportunities for "shooting" BIF. I may have to treat myself sooner or later....

John

Some of my 1960s cameras had flip up Albada viewfinders that had both frame and a central reticle. Theory being that you didn't waste time trying to locate a fast moving object through a 'tube' style viewfinder and then use the reticle to pan steadily as the combination of slow film speeds and huge crop on up to 60mm film was tricky to master.
A rifle style mount for the camera helped steady panning.

I had some of the resulting slides cropped and mounted in standard 18x24 Pen mounts until fairly recently. Worked remarkably well.

There is a forum member over on the Digiscoping sub-forum who posted some photos of very nice astronomy scopes set up for photography. He has reflex sights mounted on several of those. (See "Ultra High End Rigs").

It seems like it might be useful on very high magnification setups, like beyond 800mm, or with a crop camera on, say, a 600, like the Nikon 1 V1.

Jim

I've used these before when I had a panasonic fz-30. They worked very well for me then. I find them not as necessary with optical viewfinders. Also for larger DSLR setups you also have to deal with more parallax problems. Depending on your setup, the amount of play in the mount could also result in severe inaccuracies. Because of these issues, I've not successfully used them on my current setup (a77, 70-400).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back