• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Twite or a Linnet? (1 Viewer)

Coltech

Saw this bird with the Goldfinches yesterday, is it a Twite or a Linnet. Think it may be a Twite as it has a yellow beak but I'm no expert. Sorry for the poor photo quality.

Attachments

• _DSC4665.jpg
    _DSC4665.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 300
  • _DSC4669.jpg
    _DSC4669.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Lesser Redpoll by the looks of it :t:

A very good species for the garden list. We've never had them in the garden, though there are plenty in the countryside nearby this year.

Just checked the gallery for photos of lesser Redpoll. Think you're spot on, thanks,gonna add it to my garden list.

How lucky you are to see such a bird in your own garden, you must be really pleased, I'am somewhat envious. I think the photos are excellent, well done Coltech.

Rod.

Thanks all, was hoping for a Twite. lol. Guess I need a new ID guide, any suggestions? Currently I'm plagued by Sparrowhawks so I'm trying to give the regulars a fair chance. But an adult male seems as clever as me! (Boy I must be thick!). It changes tactics depending on where I place my feeders. Any advice?

re ID guides, You'll not beat the Collins guide, though I still really like Lars Johnson!

Soory - nothing helpful to suggest re Sprrowhawks!

Coltech said:
Thanks all, was hoping for a Twite. lol. Guess I need a new ID guide, any suggestions? Currently I'm plagued by Sparrowhawks so I'm trying to give the regulars a fair chance. But an adult male seems as clever as me! (Boy I must be thick!). It changes tactics depending on where I place my feeders. Any advice?
Lol! We have the same issues with the Sparrowhawks - though I take the view that feeding must be successful if the Sprawks are regular visitors too and to be honest I'm just as happy to see them as the other garden birds.

Provided the feeders are situated close by cover e.g. a dense shrub pyracantha amd viburnum then the smaller birds don't seem to mind. They just dive for cover and sit it out whilst the Sprawk parades around the fence tops. Somtimes they make a kill but most off they leave empty clawed!

re: Twite, this time of year they're more likely to be on the beaches/estuaries on the east coast and in the summer on the moors where they breed. Whilst Redpoll is a good species for the garden, Twite would be exceptional - unless you're in the right location.

'Collins Bird Guide' really is the best one on the go.

I've tried moving my feeders but this adult male is very clever! Like me he's worked out where the birds come in from and waits in cover on their flight path. Last week I had over 140 Goldfinches coming in, this week I'm lucky to see 6. I love my sprawks, but I know that eventually they will go and the flocks will come back.

I'm about 8 miles west of Cardiff. When I first moved here 5 years ago hardly had any birds in the garden. Now I think I must be feeding the entire local population!

Coltech said:
I've tried moving my feeders but this adult male is very clever! Like me he's worked out where the birds come in from and waits in cover on their flight path. Last week I had over 140 Goldfinches coming in, this week I'm lucky to see 6. I love my sprawks, but I know that eventually they will go and the flocks will come back.
I have feeders in both front and back gardens. The back has lots of cover, but is where the sprawk usually, though not always, attacks- mostly unsuccessfully. The front is very close to the main road, with traffic and pedestrian disturbance, but this feeder is the one most used! Presumably the birds have twigged on that they are safer here?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back