• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fujinon Website (1 Viewer)

RMHoward

Every once in awhile i check Fujinon's bino website. I don't know why i do. It never changes. The 10x50FMTR-SX still isn't listed. Its been what now, 5 years since it was introduced? And, the 8x30 FMTR-SX is still listed as being available. How long ago was it discontinued? For the life of me i can't understand why some management-type there doesnt look at that site and go "what the!!!!!!!". Is it so hard for them to make their offerings up to date? Do they care? Anyone had any interaction with their office?
I have emailed them before with not results/reply. Thanks
Rick

The really scary thing is, they may now be making an 8x40 center focusing FMT-SX, and nobody in the world knows about it, and they will soon stop production, because they aren't selling.
Ron

Rick,

First to address the question of why you keep checking Fuji's Website. Perhaps like Ron, you are hoping Fuji will eventually come out with a center focus line of high quality porros? If so, please don't hold your breath.

Of course, they do or did have the BFL series, but those were not on par with the FMTs.

Or perhaps, because like most of us on these forums, you too are a binoholic. Sign up for our support group here:

http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-154741.html

As to the Website, I just wrote about the same issue with Nikon's pre-Flash Website. It was "hit or miss" when it came to including current models, and it had models that were discontinued (or at least believed to be).

At one point, Nikon USA's Website was not a reliable source of information, though it has much improved since they apparently hired someone to move the site into the 21st century, though I still missed a bin (the SE) because I was expecting a drop down menu on their birding bins site like they had on their general bin site, which has the same menu options at top, but they used a horizontal sliding menu instead. Still some bugs to work out. Some DENOREX will cure that. :)

The chief reason why Fuji's site might be so shoddy is that there is simply no reason to update it. They haven't introduced a new model in 5 years - the 10x50 you mentioned - and it was at least five years before that when they introduced their CD roof, which never seemed to catch on. That's unfortunate, because we could use a quality player like Fuji in the birding market, but I'd prefer to see high quality CF porros than yet another roof clone (the "CD" looked very similar to Meade's discontinued Montana series).

So with nothing new to update, they apparently don't have any interest in keeping the Website current. Plus, they have to translate from Japanese into the English. Babelfish won't do!

However, just imagine if they started a line of original roofs with the same quality as the FMT series. They would probably be "hot sellers," but Fujinon apparently is not serious about breaking into the sports optics market.

They are content to sit on their laurels and hardies and be the King of Marine Tested binoculars. I guess there is wisdom in sticking with what you do best.

OTOH, birdwatching is one of the fastest growing hobbies in the world. If I were Takeshi Higuchi, president of Fujinon, I'd be thinking about finding a better way to tap into this potentially lucrative market segment.

Of course, that would require big cash outlays since he would need to hire a new team to design birding and hunting optics rather than use his "marine tested" opticians, with their IF eyes. :)

So it's a big gamble, but a name like FUJINON attached to a high quality roof could do well in the right market segment. The big opening I see now is the second tier birding optics market.

The Alphas along with Nikon's EDG series have the top tier sowed up, but Meopta, Minox's top end, Zeiss's Conquest line and Nikon's Premier line could use some competition. There's room near the top.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock:
You may have brought forth here, that Fuji is not interested in the very competitive retail market. Any company with those markets is active on the "net", with a great website. It seems that they may be more interested in marine, astronomy and maybe more important military contracts.

It seems the USA uses Fujinon optics in the military, coast guard and border patrol, I am
thinking they order more than 1 pair at a time.

If anyone would like to give a rundown of what our service people are using in protecting
our country, I would really like to know.

Heavy armor, low power, individual focus required, not great for birders, but important for those that keep our country safe.

Jerry

Last edited:
Brock:
You may have brought forth here, that Fuji is not interested in the very competitive retail market. Any company with those markets is active on the "net", with a great website. It seems that they may be more interested in marine, astronomy and maybe more important military contracts.

It seems the USA uses Fujinon optics in the military, coast guard and border patrol, I am

If anyone would like to give a rundown of what our service people are using in protecting

Heavy armor, low power, individual focus required, not great for birders, but important for those that keep our country safe.

Jerry

Jerry,

I think these little "gems" with a Fuji label (Fujifilm, that is :) prove my point that the co. is not serious about sport optics:

http://www.amazon.com/Fuji-7100847-Fujifilm-Offroad-Binocular/dp/B002ZLOR42/ref=sr_1_6?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1283212121&sr=1-6

As far as what the military is up to, that would be "smart binoculars" with a 120-degree field of view, which will probably sell for more than 10 Swaro SVs, based on the cost of the research project ($6.7M just for the initial stage):

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/High-Tech-Binoculars-to-Help-Soldiers-Detect-Threats-442-01.html

Brock

Last edited:
Brock:

It maybe a good find, in the little Fuji 8x32 roof, for only $65.50, from Amazon.

I am thinking it is worth a try over the recent posts on the budget Celestron porro, with a 50% chance of even seeing clearly. Now maybe, someone will order one of these and report back.

It seems competion here, in the under $100 range, is very stiff, the Nikon Actions, and the Leupold Yosemite, both do very good, I own both.

Jerry

Brock:

Jerry

Fuji and Steiner make the M22 7x50

Fuji and Weems and Plath the M-24 7x28

All make the bins to a DoD spec. It's a competitive market.

Lots of other makers (including the Chinese) build bins to the M22 spec. It seems to be a popular spec.

Fuji and Steiner make the M22 7x50

Fuji and Weems and Plath the M-24 7x28

All make the bins to a DoD spec. It's a competitive market.

Lots of other makers (including the Chinese) build bins to the M22 spec. It seems to be a popular spec.

The M-24 7 x 28 seems worth looking at.

Why can't someone make a Center Focus version?

Bob

Gosh fellas,
Just want them to update their site once in 10 years. Not asking them to reinvent the wheel with rounder edges. I would think the 10x50 FMT is one of their best sellers based on what i read over on cloudy nights. Hard to imagine they can't find time to add it to their web site. I wonder what the 2 or 3 (so i have heard) people who work in the US office do all day. Certainly isnt updating their web site. Must be busy processing large DOD orders or something.
Rick

... I wonder what the 2 or 3 (so i have heard) people who work in the US office do all day. Certainly isnt updating their web site. Must be busy processing large DOD orders or something.
Rick

With all the night vision equipment being sold to the military right now, the Fuji workers are probably sticking pencils to the ceiling:

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-stick-pencil-ceiling-0112080/

As you can see, this is quite involved, not much time left over for updating Websites. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back