• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I stay with the nikons? (1 Viewer)

anolis23

Im triying to decide if I should buy one of the monarch models, since ive read that they are one of the best mid range bins out there, and I know that nikon is a excellent brand, but I wonder if there are some other bins of other brands that are very close in price range, and with better image quality. Ive heard good things about vortex, pentax WP II, minox BL, etc. but I have to admit that im drawn to the nikon brand because I know first hand of their quality lenses in photography. Are there any other bins that arent nikons in this range that I should consider buying instead.

They are all good. If I lived in P. R. my first consideration would be how soon I could get them replaced or repaired if something happened to them while they were under warranty. It's a good idea to discuss this with the dealers before you decide to buy.
Good Luck,
Bob

Yes I should consider that also, but thats just it! Ive heard that they are all good and I cant decide, Im just leaning to the nikon side because of the brand name right now and I dont think I should only because of that. Maybe someone else has been shopping around in this price range also, and has been testing these bins. I cant do that here in P.R because there are no stores here that sell them so I basically have to trust the reviews and I dont want to be ordering multiple bins and returning them.

You are right to consult the reviews. Did you go to www.betterviewdesired.com.? Meanwhile, don't forget that the quality control on binoculars in your price range is not as rigorous as it is with the high end German Binoculars and the high end Nikons and there can be differences among individual binoculars. You don't have as good a chance to "cherry pick" when you mail order as you do when you can examine each one over the counter. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a store in San Juan that sold Nikons at least. The others you mention are hard to find in most places.

Eagle Optics has an excellent reputation for mail order service. www.eagleoptics.com. Check them out. Meanwhile, in the last month or so there were some lengthy discussions on this Forum on Vortex binoculars. Quite recent and for the most part, quite favorable.
Cordially,
Bob

Last edited:
I have very little technical knowledge but was able to try out a lot of makes/models at a local stockist. I tried about 10 options up the £1,000.00 mark (can't afford £1000 but had the opportunity so tried them). I settled on the Minox 8.5 x 42 BL @£230.00. I now find them so easy to use*-far, far better than my old Pentax (but they were only 8 x 25). The Minox are easy to focus and gather lots of light in the dusk.
*My only critism is that it took me a little while to get used to them as I wear spectacles-with the Pentax I never had a problem but with the Minox I had to learn how to position them.

These binoculars seem very similar to me, but brightness can vary. If you notice that one model is brighter than another one, it is an advantage. But they have to be compared side by side.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back