• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera for Zeiss Scope (1 Viewer)

roger48

I know that this may be posted in the wrong area, but I am keen to get the views of Zeiss scope users.

I have the 85 scope with 20-60x zoom eyepeice; a great piece of kit IMHO.

I am looking at digiscoping and thinking of getting the Zeiss Digital Camera Adaptor.

Here is the question, what digital camera should I get? Price is not a big issue, but I want good quality results and no vignetting issues.

Does anybody know what cameras Zeiss used at the recent bird fair?

Yes I've seen this but it costs £1,000 and is probably well out of date technology wise. I am also looking at the Minox DCM but I think a seperate camera will be more flexible.

I am sure the DC4 was used at the Birdfair but i believe others were used, possibly Sony.

Does anybody know for sure?

Any of the Sony cameras with a 3x optical zoom will work on the Zeiss zoom eyepiece, i have tried a few older models like the SONY N1, N2, or newer versions like the W200 and the camera i used on the Zeiss Digiscoping Stand at Birdfair, the Sony W300, they all work, and very little vignetting on the Sonys

Also the fav on BF at the moment is the Nikon Coolpix 5100, also the latest Canon IS series, there are various threads on the digiscoping section you can read up on.

The thing is to take scope, eyepiece and tripod to a camera shop and try it out for yourself, its the only sure way to be confident you have chosen the right camera for YOU!

Paul

N.B remember to get an extra battery and memory card!

I am surprised (tongue in cheek) Paul has not mentioned the new Zeiss Photoscope, see thread on this forum.

I trust Paul Zeiss will let you have a go so we can all look forward to a review.

Lol, very droll. I am sure the new Zeiss camera scope will be excellent, but likely to be well beyond my means. Anyway, I already have the Diascope and have bought the Sony W300.

Lol, very droll. I am sure the new Zeiss camera scope will be excellent, but likely to be well beyond my means. Anyway, I already have the Diascope and have bought the Sony W300.

Thats what i thought, you wanted help with the kit you have, and hopefully thats what i did, hope you enjoy your new setup Roger!

Regards

Paul

Thats what i thought, you wanted help with the kit you have, and hopefully thats what i did, hope you enjoy your new setup Roger!

Regards

Paul

Thanks for your helpful response.

I am presently getting used to the scope and the Sony W300 and taking some shots of my bird feeder with some reasonable results. As you use the same camera, could you give me some advice on the best camera settings?

Many thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back