• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Raven with Olympus C750 UZ or buy new camera? (1 Viewer)

jonesjen

Hi everyone -

My future mother-in-law will be buying an Eagle Optics Spotting Scope Raven 78 A w/RadianGT as a graduation present for my fiance. His current camera is an Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom that he loves. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to purchase an adapter for this camera. If anyone can help me figure out an appropriate adapter I would really appreciate it!

If I can't find an adapter for his camera my graduation gift will be a digital camera that works well with this scope. I would greatly appreciate recommendations - Thanks!!

Jen

Hi Jen,

A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the Admin, Staff and Moderators. I hope you enjoy your time with us - I am sure you will find everyone friendly and helpful.

I'm afraid I can't help with your specific question but I am sure someone will be able to supply an answer.

Hi Jen,

The best thing you can do is call Eagle Optics and ask them. They are very knowledgeable about their products and what works and what does not. I am not sure what the rules are for posting commercial phone numbers etc. but they are easy to find online.

I hope you and your fiance and you have many happy viewingt in Massachusetts.

jonesjen said:
Hi everyone -

My future mother-in-law will be buying an Eagle Optics Spotting Scope Raven 78 A w/RadianGT as a graduation present for my fiance. His current camera is an Olympus C-750 Ultra Zoom that he loves. However, I haven't been able to figure out how to purchase an adapter for this camera. If anyone can help me figure out an appropriate adapter I would really appreciate it!

If I can't find an adapter for his camera my graduation gift will be a digital camera that works well with this scope. I would greatly appreciate recommendations - Thanks!!

Jen

Jen,
I have an Olympus 750 and am crazy about it. However, it makes a very poor digiscoping camera because its lens is so large in diameter. Unless the diameter of the camera lens and the diameter of the scope's eyepiece are closely matched, you cannot get good results. This is especially true if the camera's lens is larger than the eyepiece, as is surely the case here.

Best option is to enhance the 750 with a CLA-4 adapter (about $25) and a TCON-17 Teleextender (about $95). You'll have the equivalent of a 645mm lens with this setup, which is real fine for the money.

Jen,

I also have an Olympus 750 and and a TCON-17 Teleconverter.
I am posting in order to endorse what RAH said and to suggest one other teleconverter (in case you are flush with cash and really, really, love your fiance!).

Recently Raynox introduced the "DCR-2020 PRO 2.2x high definition telephoto lens", a 2.2 teleconverter which works very well with the c750. This will give, at maximum camera zoom, an effective focal SLR focal lenght of 836mm.
The cost is about $200 for the lens and $20 for an adapter [either the Raynox lens adapter for the Oly c7xx, RT5245C7 at $20 or the previously mentioned CLA-4 plus a 55mm-to-62mm step-up ring (~ $10-15)].

Dalcio

Last edited:
jonesjen said:

I have a C750 and think it is quite a nice camera -- but not good for looking into a scope. For that you buy a second camera -- either a coolpix 990 or coolpix 4500, both of which are out of production but are the favorites for this activity. Check Ebay. The newest option is the Contax SL300RT.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back