• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon tripod (1 Viewer)

I have a Velbon Pro 530 carbon fibre tripod which I like and a PH157Q head which I don't - so I want to get a fluid head.

Does anyone have experience of the Velbon PH368 head or are Manfrotto the ones to go for ?

Ta v much

Hi Nick don't know anything about the velbon head but I do know that to fit a manfrotto head you will need an adaptor thread, avalable from most good camera shops.

Pete

I replaced the horrible head on my Opticron tripod with a Manfrotto 700rc2 and I'm very pleased I did - it's a lovely head (although maybe not the best for heavy loads!)

As Pete says, you'll likely need to purchase an adaptor thread - they cost pennies - and I had to make pretty liberal use of thread-locking compound to stop things from unscrewing in use, but it's an easy and extremely worthwhile improvement.

Gerry o Neill said:
Has anyone tried a Velbon sherpa pro 531 legs with a Monfrotto 700 head?Any views welcome.

I have not tried your suggested combo, but ANY combination with Manfrotto should work perfectly well. Same with the Novoflex DinO head that I am using. I chose it because there was no light-weight Manfrotto head at the time I was in the market for one.

Get yourself a Manfrotto fluid type.

I have an older carbon Velbon sherpa pro5300, the 1/4 threaded bolt to attach the head was a bit too long for the manfrotto heads, so I hacksawed a bit off. Yeah, you'll need an adapter for the thread (if velbon still do 1/4 instead of 3/8)... about £2 from Jessops (and i think that's a pack of two)

cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back