• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 from KZN South Africa sept 2017 (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Hi, I have birds from Kwazulu Natal, South Africa that I would like some help identifying please.
1 is from iMfolozi, a Prinia, but which?
2 is from Hluhluwe, I invariably get these wrong, so I won't say what I think until someone replieso:)

Thanks very much for your help.

Attachments

• ARD_9415.jpg
    ARD_9415.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 39
  • ARD_9676.JPG
    ARD_9676.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 55
1 Looks like Tawny-flanked Prinia, rufous tones in the wing and tail would eliminate Black-chested.

2 Is a Cisticola, possibly Rattling or Levaillant's?

A

Last edited:
Tawny-flanked is confusable wit a non breeding Black-chested but as I said, the rufous in the wings make this TfP.

A

Thanks Andy,
TfP is also in range, whereas BcP is not. My uncertainty lies in the range and appearance of Drakensberg Prinia, especially wrt the eye colour. SASOL also states "juv. is paler below; upperparts redder brown."

Thanks Andy,
TfP is also in range, whereas BcP is not. My uncertainty lies in the range and appearance of Drakensberg Prinia, especially wrt the eye colour. SASOL also states "juv. is paler below; upperparts redder brown."

DP juv will still have streaking on the throat and will be more unformly reddish rather than jut the wing feathers and tail.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back