• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Hi all,

It would seem that many migrants have arrived in Norfolk quite late. A 12 mile walk around my local area today resulted in many more House Martins than a fortnight ago, lots of local Swifts back at breeding sites, several more Garden Warblers than previously heard & I also had my first Spotted Flycatcher (at Thursford) & lovely surprise a Turtle Dove in the back garden.

For the first time we have had 3 Tawny Owl chicks from a nestbox in the front garden, we have been watching/listening to their progress since they left the box 3 nights ago. Unfortunately today one was taken by a Sparrowhawk! I was rather surprised at this being a prey item does anyone else have any experience of this?

Mega views of Nightjar, males are currently disputing territories, lots of wing clapping & butterfly dispaly flight, if you have chance get out & have a look this week.

Regards Chris

Titchwell RSPB - had a quick look on the feeders for redpoll but no luck and walked around the fen trail - lots of orchids out and ragged robin. Ray Kimber alerted us to a popular hawk moth on an alexander by the toilet block. Blackcaps, chiffchaffs, baby chaffinches being fed by parents and the usual robins.

Montague's Harrier site - at least 5 common buzzards spiralling distantly along with 1 hobby close by.

Back road on the way to Little Walsingham by a church ruins - 1 Turtle Dove purring away and also cracking views of a male marsh harrier on route.

Swanton Novers - lunch time and a very long wait for Honey Buzzard. Watched here from 12pm until 4pm - watched a few common buzzards, ate lunch, snoozed, watched - EVENTUALLY we had stunning views of a Honey Buzzard (4pmish) which worked its way along the horizen to sail directly over our heads - flat wings, and lots of 'clapping' right above and got some pretty decent record shots too!!! Feeling very pleased with ourselves we then went to the coast and had a look around Walsey Hills - no birds whatsoever apart from a chaffinch and greenfinch on the wires, cettis Warbler and chiffchaff, but stunning views of 2 Adders entwined on the bank.

Ice-cream by the duck pond.

Holkham - evening walk - no birds of note but lovely walk.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Norfolk Visit

Was in Norwich for the weekend & managed to get out on Friday to Titchwell, Cley & Strumpshaw Fen.

Saw over 50 different species with 8 firsts that were Chiff Chaff, Cetti's Warbler, Grey Plover, Brent Goose, Bearded Tit, Meadow Pipit, Reed Warbler & Whitethroat.

Attached is a few pics.

Thanks to those who gave advice & suggestions!! B :)

Attachments

• Tit - Bearded 1.jpg
    Tit - Bearded 1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Pippit - Meadow 1.jpg
    Pippit - Meadow 1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Warbler - Reed 2.jpg
    Warbler - Reed 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 87
  • Warbler - Sedge 2.jpg
    Warbler - Sedge 2.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 78
Will be spending this weekend birding in norfolk. We would be very grateful for good sites for montague's harriers (I understand there is a watching point), woodlark, turtle dove and stone curlew (tried weeting a few weeks back but were nesting over the brow of a hill).

Thanks, Marc

Will be spending this weekend birding in norfolk. We would be very grateful for good sites for montague's harriers (I understand there is a watching point), woodlark, turtle dove and stone curlew (tried weeting a few weeks back but were nesting over the brow of a hill).

Thanks, Marc

To start you off I saw Woodlark at Roydon Common at the weekend. One of the assistant wardens said that they aren't breeding on the Weeting reserve this year, and I didn't see any at a few suitable areas of Brecks either. Roydon has two car parks, I saw mine in the heathland immediately to the left of the westerly one. Turtle Doves were along the hedges on the road to the east of Flitcham Abbey Farm, and also at Lakenheath Fen.

Regards,
James

Will be spending this weekend birding in norfolk. We would be very grateful for good sites for montague's harriers (I understand there is a watching point), woodlark, turtle dove and stone curlew (tried weeting a few weeks back but were nesting over the brow of a hill).Thanks, Marc

Birders are encouraged to only visit Weeting Heath for Stone Curlew to minimise disturbance to sites elsewhere. Hopefully, you'll have more luck at this site next time - if the chicks have hatched, there can be more activity. Visiting early or later in the day can also help the heat haze problem!

As Penny rightly said last week in response to someone else requesting information on Montys, details of a site for a rare breeding bird shouldn't go on an open forum or even by PM. There is no official watchpoint.

Turtle Doves seem even scarcer than usual this year - several usual spots have failed to produce any. Try the barns up at Choseley near Titchwell which are also good for Corn Bunting.

Enjoy your trip.

Regards,
Irene

It was nice to see that the tree sparrows that frequent my parents feeders in North Pickenham have bred locally - in the last few days there have been upto seven recently fledged birds.

Attachments

• treesparrow2433.jpg
    treesparrow2433.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 77
Turtle Doves seem even scarcer than usual this year - several usual spots have failed to produce any.

Denver Sluice has still got a pair which have been singing a lot recently. Also there 4 Cuckoos (3 males)! Quite an impressive number I thought, and they should have no problem breeding, as there are lots of Reed Warblers singing. I have always thought of the host species for Cuckoos being Reed Warbler, but do they also target Sedge Warbler nests?

Just had a fantastic Red Kite over the garden! It went South-West at about 1:50pm. Has anyone had any other sightings of Red Kite in Norfolk recently, as 2 have gone South through Welney and another SW here today, I was wondering if they are all leaving the county?

Just had a fantastic Red Kite over the garden! It went South-West at about 1:50pm. Has anyone had any other sightings of Red Kite in Norfolk recently, as 2 have gone South through Welney and another SW here today, I was wondering if they are all leaving the county?

My other half saw a Red kite today, near Denver over the A10.

We had one here near Swaffham about three weeks ago, first time we had seen one here

We have 1-2 semi resident red kites in the Swanton Novers area for the past few months. They leave south most mornings and return in mid-late afternoon. After an absence of a few days one was seen from the Swanton Novers Watch point this afternoon. A displaying male honey buzzard was giving great views today with perhaps 10 sightings during the day , some lasting half an hour along with a close hobby , sparrowhawks , kestrel and 7 or more common buzzards.

A light painted lady passage resumed when the sun came out with about 25 seen.

......Has anyone had any other sightings of Red Kite in Norfolk recently, as 2 have gone South through Welney and another SW here today, I was wondering if they are all leaving the county?

No!!!:C I think this is going to be a bird I don't see this year at all!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Felbrigg Lake today

A stroll around produced 1 Common Sandpiper and a Hobby high over. The Mute Swans were with cygnets (not signets, as at Cley!).

Red-eyed Damsels were much in evidence and ovipositing and I managed a few shots of this recently-emerged (?) Black-tailed Skimmer.

Also, on Yellow Iris (or Flag) was this strange beast. Does anyone know what it is, please ? A kwik flik through my Chinnery left me none the wiser.

Attachments

• P1080276#001.jpg
    P1080276#001.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 52
  • P1080273#002.jpg
    P1080273#002.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 61
  • P1080281#001.jpg
    P1080281#001.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 58
Denver Sluice has still got a pair which have been singing a lot recently. Also there 4 Cuckoos (3 males)! Quite an impressive number I thought, and they should have no problem breeding, as there are lots of Reed Warblers singing. I have always thought of the host species for Cuckoos being Reed Warbler, but do they also target Sedge Warbler nests?

Also Dunnocks and Mipits as well.

John the dragonfly is Black tailed skimmer like you said, and the bug is a stonefly of some type.

Felbrigg

A stroll around produced 1 Common Sandpiper and a Hobby high over. The Mute Swans were with cygnets (not signets, as at Cley!)

Pic of said cygnets taken on Thursday attached!

Also 3 drake Mandarins on the lake this afternoon and for a change they decided to pose for pics rather than slinking away under the bushes. Also 3+ Grey Wags also around the lake, presumably having bred in the vicinity and a Cuckoo calling in the distant trees the first I've heard this year up this end of the coast.

Simon

Attachments

• Swans050903.jpg
    Swans050903.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 38
  • Mandarin050902.jpg
    Mandarin050902.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Mandarin050906.jpg
    Mandarin050906.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Grey Wagtail.jpg