• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eBird's Missing Species (1 Viewer)

I use eBird a lot, that's where I've been submitting most of my birding checklists. Also participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count.

Back in 2002, I completed the Cornell University's Lab of Ornithology correspondence course. Learned a LOT! I took the snail-mail version with the binders and paper lessons. It's available online, now ...

Rusty Blackbirds and Kirtland's Warbler are supposed to be very close to extinction.

The lab folks claimed to have seen an Ivory-Billed Woodpecker when they did their explorations in the deep South -- even got what they thought was one on video. This has been disputed, since the video isn't clear. Many suspect all they saw was a Pileated Woodpecker, still quite common.

That's why their stated goal is so important: TO KEEP COMMON BIRDS COMMON.

There is another thread on this in the taxonomy forum, including responses from the people at Ebird on how they made the list.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back