• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

National bird (1 Viewer)

mathare

I have been meaning to start a thread on this for several weeks now but not got round to it, until now.

According to the August edition of Bird Watching magazine, Birdfair will see voting open on Britain's new national bird. Apparently we don't have one at the minute. But what makes a national bird?

There is currently a long list of 60 nominees and the voting at Birdfair & online will reduce that to a shortlist of 6 for further voting. I don't know who compiled the long list but some of the candidates on there, I don't know why they are there, to be honest.

Sure, there's some great birds on the list (and I will post up the full list if time allows) but to me they can't be our national bird. Our national bird should be iconic, typically British and one that many of the general public can recognise.

Swifts - quite easily recognised but in this country for a couple of months in the summer and then they're off again. Our national bird should at least spend most, if not all, of the year here, no?

Golden Eagle - how many Brits have seen a Golden Eagle? They're hardly a common bird throughout the British Isles.

Puffins - gorgeous little things but being coastal birds - and one that spends a lot of time at sea - how many Brits have seen one and thus can identify with it as our national bird?

And so on.

If I had to choose (and while I'm not going to Birdfair I will be voting online) something like the humble Robin is a good candidate. Or even the Mallard. Everyone knows what a Mallard looks like and while they are not garden birds they are present on pretty much any stretch of water or village duck pond. They are the quintessential duck. They also offer a bit more colour than Blackbirds or Carrion Crows so when other nations look at our national bird at least they don't see something drab.

What would you choose as the new national bird of Britain? What criteria should a national bird satisfy?

That list in full:

Mute Swan
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Eider
Red Grouse
Pheasant
Great Crested Grebe
Gannet
Grey Heron
Golden Eagle
Osprey
Red Kite
Buzzard
Kestrel
Peregrine
Avocet
Oystercatcher
Lapwing
Curlew
Snipe
Herring Gull
Puffin
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Turtle Dove
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Cuckoo
Tawny Owl
Barn Owl
Swift
Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Sky Lark
Swallow
Pied Wagtail
Waxwing
Robin
Nightingale
Black Redstart
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Wren
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Bullfinch
Yellowhammer

I was at a pub quiz years ago and that question was raised, Britain's national bird. Of course everyone looked at me but I didn't have a clue. The answer was Robin......

That list in full:

Mute Swan
Mallard
Tufted Duck
Eider
Red Grouse
Pheasant
Great Crested Grebe
Gannet
Grey Heron
Golden Eagle
Osprey
Red Kite
Buzzard
Kestrel
Peregrine
Avocet
Oystercatcher
Lapwing
Curlew
Snipe
Herring Gull
Puffin
Feral Pigeon
Woodpigeon
Turtle Dove
Rose-ringed Parakeet
Cuckoo
Tawny Owl
Barn Owl
Swift
Kingfisher
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Sky Lark
Swallow
Pied Wagtail
Waxwing
Robin
Nightingale
Black Redstart
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Wren
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Magpie
Jay
Jackdaw
Carrion Crow
Raven
Starling
House Sparrow
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Greenfinch
Bullfinch
Yellowhammer

Some strange ones of the list - Waxwing is basically a rare visitor, hardly a national bird; Rose-ringed Parakeet is an introduced bird, often deemed a pest and one that DEFRA may one day decide to cull (tabloids - 'Government Kills National Bird'); gulls and corvids also could suffer similar tabloid headlines as they too are culled; some are rare and not seen by most 'normal' persons (Black Redstart, etc), Feral Pigeon would be slumming it :)

I guess Mute Swan has some logic due to its royal connection and, even better, Red Grouse as it is totally endemic to the UK (as a race at least), but I'd say a popular 'everyday' bird would be the best - Wren or Long-tailed Tit would perhaps be not bad.

That said, I agree with previous poster - why does the UK need a national bird?

We don't have a national bird because we don't need one, IMHuO
Interesting opinion. Why don't we need one?

I'm assuming that because you think we don't need one you have a reasonable idea of what a national bird means, what it stands for, what use it is - that sort of thing. I have to admit I don't. Never having had a national bird I don't know what I want from it or what it would mean to me. So I don't know if we need one or not.

I was at a pub quiz years ago and that question was raised, Britain's national bird. Of course everyone looked at me but I didn't have a clue. The answer was Robin......
I believe The Times held a vote in the 1960s and Robin won but was never officially awarded recognised as the national bird.

Margate - my point is that we do not have a national bird. We don't seem to have missed not having on, IMHuO.

Margate - my point is that we do not have a national bird. We don't seem to have missed not having on, IMHuO.
But how do you know we haven't missed out by not having a national bird? What does a national bird do for a country? What does it stand for?

Would having a national bird lead to a greater recognition of the environmental needs of that species? Would it increase awareness of birds and birding in general?

Why do/don't we need a national bird? What do other countries gain from having one? What do they miss out on?

Has having a certain species as the natural bird resulted in conservation measures that are unhealthy for other species?

According to Wikipedia (I know, I know!) most countries do have an official national bird so obviously a lot of countries see value in it. Or is it just tradition?

It'll be interesting to see if the stand at Birdfair and the associated website answer many/any of these questions

The Pheasant (the landed grentries favourite bird.) or the Robin (about the only bird the Daily Wail would fail in their attemptd to convince middle England that they were disease spreading baby eating monsters)

Belarus * has an interesting idea - it has a revolving national bird, I don't remember if it changes every year or every five years, but the bird chosen then becomes a national focus for awareness about the species, conservation work, etc. For example, when it was Thrush Nightingale, there were campaigns to stop road workers clearing scrub, etc.

I think this would be a super idea for the UK - a five-year revolving national bird, the change of species each time a chance to bring birds to the masses and to highlight issues facing them. Hen Harrier could certainly be one that gets its term as national bird, perhaps Arctic Tern or similar to highlight not only its elegance and amazing migrations, but also its plight in the face of overfishing of sand eels, etc

* I am not certain I remember the country correctly, it might not be Belarus.

A very good choice, see what people think when another one of "our National Birds" is trapped, shot or poisoned.

Hen Harrier, agreed a great idea to publicise this as our National Bird, it must do more good than harm for this species. :t:

The first landowner to be found guilty of killing one of our now National Birds will be hung for treason..... vote for BFB :t: IT WILL BECOME LAW B :)

Belarus * has an interesting idea - it has a revolving national bird, I don't remember if it changes every year or every five years, but the bird chosen then becomes a national focus for awareness about the species, conservation work, etc. For example, when it was Thrush Nightingale, there were campaigns to stop road workers clearing scrub, etc.

* I am not certain I remember the country correctly, it might not be Belarus.
If not Belarus then whichever country it was has a very good idea. Every year may be a bit too often but changing species every few years and promoting conservation efforts for that species is a really good idea.

What clever person compiled that list I wonder? There are some really odd ones on a list for a national bird. Waxwing?

I'll be giving this a miss

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back