• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 case? (1 Viewer)

Kammerdiner

I've been using compacts for hiking/backpacking but I like my 8x32 FL's so much I'm gonna try hauling them around instead. Trouble is, the Zeiss case and strap are both bulky and heavy.

Compared to my Pentax 8x32 ED, the Zeiss case and strap weigh 6oz (170g) more, and are seriously bulky. For backpacking saving 6oz and bulk is worth going for. (The Zeiss strap weighs 50g more and the case 120g more).

The Pentax case is a perfect fit. A simple eveready case with a velcro flap. But soft cases eventually conform to fit like gloves so I don't want to deform the Pentax case in case I sell them. I called Pentax to order another case and strap but they don't sell them!! Some Pentax cases are on the net, but not the 8x32.

My question: does anyone know of a good fit for the Zeiss? Name brand is no concern. I don't care whose logo is on it. I want simple and lightweight, eveready, no second strap.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I use the leather zipper case for the Leica 8x32 Ultra/Trinovid, but I'm not sure if these are still available (I ordered mine from Leica USA). It's a perfect fit for the 8x32 with the ocular guard installed and even accommodates an Eagle Optics neoprene bino strap wrapped around the hinge.

--AP

I use my Conquest 8x30 case for my 8x32FL's. first off it snaps on so I don't have to to take off my belt to get the case on and off, that's a major pain in the as and people wonder WTF you are doing. Secondly the case is soft and you can rest the binocular on top of the case where you can't do that with the FL case.

I'm probably the only one who likes the Conquest case better.

My Pentax 12.5x50 case is thin and cheap feeling and has no way to attach to your belt and just feels like a Chinese piece of junk to me, I never liked it. Although I've really warmed up to that bin, you can get some amazing perfect color bright large views out of it.

Last edited:
Nessus,

Thanks for the tip. Can you wear the bin using the bin strap while its in the Conquest case? If so, would you call it bulky? The top flap of the FL case overlaps the bottom so it doesn't carry well without putting the bin strap inside, then using the case strap around your neck. Two straps? Seems redundent to me. Beyond that, the FL case is just too bulky.

As for the Pentax case, mine is thin but I wouldn't say cheap. I have the ED 8x32 so maybe it's a better case? Thin and lightweight is what I'm going for, and only using the bin strap, no second strap on the case.

What can I say? I'm a minimalist.

Hey,If You give me a nice price,I will buy the Pentax ED ,and You can keep the Case!!!!

Or maybe you can have the Zeiss case to go with it! I've thought about selling the Pentax but it's nice to have for friends and family. Sharing bins can be annoying. My wife and I were backpacking this weekend and stopped to watch some bald eagles soaring and later on the nest. We had one pair of compacts between us and it was a classic case of IPD see-saw, back and forth like an accordion. I said, see that's why you need to carry a pair of your own. She smiled, refused to commit. We've had that discussion before.

I often put my 8x32FL's in my 8x30 Conquest case. It's good enough, way thinner and you can put the bin on top of it and it just squashes down, it's not rigid. And you can snap it on your belt without having to take your belt off, that's another plus.

See if you can get an extra 8x30 conquest case, fits like it was made for it.

Or maybe you can have the Zeiss case to go with it! I've thought about selling the Pentax but it's nice to have for friends and family. Sharing bins can be annoying. My wife and I were backpacking this weekend and stopped to watch some bald eagles soaring and later on the nest. We had one pair of compacts between us and it was a classic case of IPD see-saw, back and forth like an accordion. I said, see that's why you need to carry a pair of your own. She smiled, refused to commit. We've had that discussion before.

You haven't figured out to carry an extra binocular for your wife? :egghead:

You haven't figured out to carry an extra binocular for your wife? :egghead:

Well, that's the next step. I try to keep the weight down for backpacking, but carrying two compacts might be worth it. At least she wears glasses when we're camping, like I do. When she wears contacts I have to fiddle with the eyecups as well.

She's not a committed birder like I am, but she sure hogs the bins when eagles show up. :-O

I often put my 8x32FL's in my 8x30 Conquest case. It's good enough, way thinner and you can put the bin on top of it and it just squashes down, it's not rigid. And you can snap it on your belt without having to take your belt off, that's another plus.

See if you can get an extra 8x30 conquest case, fits like it was made for it.

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try!

The conquest case is slightly taller so you might be able to fold up the strap on top of the 8x32. The strap will definitely come out the sides of the case so you can wear around your neck and in the case if that's what you were asking earlier.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back