• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest of Solitory Wasps (1 Viewer)

Yaffle

Nest of Solitary Wasps

Most summers we get solitary wasps making their nest in our attic, about the size of a ping pong ball. Last weekend I took out a couple of the old ones and carefully exposed their internal structure with a scalpel. Thought you might be interested in the result.

Yaffle

Attachments

• Wasp1.jpg
    Wasp1.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Wasp2.jpg
    Wasp2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Wasp3.jpg
    Wasp3.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 129
  • Wasp4.jpg
    Wasp4.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Isn't nature fantastic! :t:

You are so lucky to be able to see such interesting things like that...any idea what species made this nest?

GILL

Hi Yaffle, this is not a solitary wasps nest , but a nest of a state-building wasp (don´t know if this is the right english word). Wasp states die in autumn and only young mated queens from the previous summer overwinter and these start to build the new state in spring. this one has started but probably was killed early , because this is just the initial state of a wasp state...

Joern,

Thanks for that, I am not sure what we call state-building wasps - "Solitary wasp" was just a best guess as I have a very limited knowledge of the insect kingdom!

Yaffle

Thanks for sharing those photos Yaffle, i hate the little b******* but you have to admire their skill in home making.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back