• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shag or cormorant (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

Taken in Aug 16. I know cormorants have a white patch on the head by the bill, but how do you know if this extra white area is no obvious. Is there a difference in colouration on the bill. I know a shad can have a tufty head but again this is not clear in these pictures. Can someone give me some good tips on these. Less confusingly for me I think the other tow are a stonechat and a buzzard ? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• DSCF2182.jpg
    DSCF2182.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF2274.jpg
    DSCF2274.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCF2279.jpg
    DSCF2279.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCF2277.jpg
    DSCF2277.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 72
They are Shag, except maybe bird to right in third picture. The yellow extends out onto the beak - Looks like a yellow slash compared to the yellow patch of a cormorant.

Buzzard and Stonechat look right.

Last edited:
Hi Mike Tom,

Not sure if you have a copy already, but Collins Bird Guide is fantastic for pointing out differences between confusable species. I now have it on my mobile, ipad and various hard copies, so am never without it! A must have for birders in my mind.

I recently had a similar query, although in that I was after a bit more re general jizz from those more experienced with the species than myself, being that the photos I had to work with were truly awful! http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=351175

Even then my photos are so poor there is a query I haven’t had chance to address yet re possible sinensis.

Your photos with the aid of Collins are much easier, if you don’t have a Collins, this BTO video is good re differences https://www.bto.org/about-birds/bird-id/bto-bird-id-cormorant-and-shag

The other two IDs look to be correct.

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back