• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron HR80 GA or Opticron ES80 SD (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone, my grandfather is after a spotting scope and is willing to spend a few hundred squids so please could someone tell me which of the above scopes would you choose and why.
Thanks,
Darren.

I don't think there would be much difference optically, but if I was a straight choice I would go with the ES80SD simply because it is newer and sleeker, and I have heard good things about it.

It might be worth looking second-hand on eBay or the Want to Buy section of the forums, as you might be able to pick up a bargain.

In case he hasn't already considered this make clear to him that for his money he will need to take into account the need for an eyepiece, case, tripod etc.

It doesn't-the ES 80SD Chiffchaffer refers to is the "standard" version (SD) with non-flourite glass, which is considerably less expensive than the ED version, the ES 80ED.

Incidentally Chiffchaffer, if your grandad wants to splash out a bit more then the ES80 ED, though more expensive, is meant to be a real beauty for the money.

Thanks for the replys guys, I have been looking at both these scopes on warehouse express and the HR80 ga is £380 body only and the ES80ga sd is only £321 body only.How is the older HR80 nearly £60 more than the Es model? I also phoned Opticron and they said that the ES80 has less chromatic abberation due to it's design but the HR 80 had the better glass and was sharper and that it would be tough to pick one over the other, although the guy said for digiscoping the ES would have the slight edge.I think I'll recommend the ES 80 sd to my grandfather because like you guys said it is newer and also cheaper.
Thanks again,
Darren.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back