• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An eagle in Tatra Mountains, Poland (1 Viewer)

namq

Golden or Lesser Spotted Eagle probably? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• _MG_2720.jpg
    _MG_2720.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 130
  • _MG_2724.jpg
    _MG_2724.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 128
  • _MG_2733.jpg
    _MG_2733.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 175
  • _MG_2741.jpg
    _MG_2741.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 188
  • _MG_2754.jpg
    _MG_2754.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 155
Hmm, now that you mention it, I'm not 100% sure this is the same bird. I saw it drop down - probably found something - and about a minute later I saw it on the sky. I didn't see the bird ascending, I was looking the other way. So it might be a different bird TBH.

Last edited:
This doesn't look like a Golden Eagle to me in any of the images. The wing shape seems wrong (not 'pinched in' at the base) and the tail is rather short. It also lacks a golden band on the coverts. The pale bases to the primaries are good for a Spotted Eagle sp. and the underwing coverts being paler than the secondaries suggests Lesser-spotted.

This doesn't look like a Golden Eagle to me in any of the images. The wing shape seems wrong (not 'pinched in' at the base) and the tail is rather short. It also lacks a golden band on the coverts. The pale bases to the primaries are good for a Spotted Eagle sp. and the underwing coverts being paler than the secondaries suggests Lesser-spotted.

I have to agree with Andrew.

Its that time of year again...I agree not Golden and was thinking LSE. But the primaries look very deep-slotted for LSE in the last couple of pics?

I usually get these wrong but the broad wings & short tail & primary fingers look more like Spotted Eagle, but I'd say either this or Lesser Spotted.

Neil.

ps, Looking at it again I think Andrew & Cristian are right with LSE, I think the short 7th prim finger is too short for SE.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back