• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II experiences (1 Viewer)

cgilbert

England
Hi,

I'm looking for a lens to use on safari for both mammals and birds (main focus is birds) and am thinking of maybe the 70-200 f2.8 IS USM II along with a 2x Mk3 converter. I've previously had a 100-400, but found it far too variable in IQ, so now use the prime 400 f5.6, but feel that may limit me with the larger mammals I'll hopefully be seeing! I'll be using it with a 7D and don't wish to be changing lenses hence looking for an single alternative to the prime.

Has anyone had experience of this lens, especially when used with the 2x and can provide any thoughts on IQ etc?

TIA.
Cliff.

It's a great lens for mammals on safari, you'll be reasonably OK with birds but really 400mm is a bit on the short side unless you get really close or the birds are big.That said, you do seem to get a lot closer in hotter climates, particularly in places where the wildlife are used to safari jeeps.
I am lucky in that I also have a 500mm lens which I tend to use and I let my wife use the 70-200 as it's light enough for her to manage with ease. The shots of the Changeable Hawk-Eagle attached demonstrates that even in the hands of someone who hasn't much experience you can take some great images. She was able to lean out of our jeep to take this shot of a bird sat above us in a tree. Not the best of framing but she was performing miracles hanging out of the window. I couldn't do anything with my bigger lens.

When the image is cropped to 50% you can see that there is plenty of detail.The camera is set at f11 ISO 800 1/800th sec on a 1.3xCrop 1DMk1V. using a 2.0xTC at around 190mm so she had lots of reach to spare.

The Leopard is taken using a 1.4TC and the shot is full frame at 230mm. If you are lucky you should get some similar experiences !

Attachments

• 50% crop 13-11-29.jpg
    50% crop 13-11-29.jpg
    719.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Full frame  13-11-29.jpg
    Full frame 13-11-29.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 78
  • Sri Lanka 2013 Wildlife 6352013-11-27.jpg
    Sri Lanka 2013 Wildlife 6352013-11-27.jpg
    808.7 KB · Views: 100
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back