• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To strap, or not to strap....... (1 Viewer)

Mike F

Hello everyone! I'm wondering what you good folk do with your bino strap. It's always seemed to me that the obvious, best, safest thing to do is to attach the strap to the bin and put it round your neck(!), but whenever I see pics posted of peoples bins the strap is hardly ever attached. I have to admit though that if I'm just at home and I pick my bins up quickly to look at something I never bother to put the strap around my neck, and if anything it just gets in the way.

Sorry for the mundane question, but I'm curious. ;)

Hello everyone! I'm wondering what you good folk do with your bino strap. It's always seemed to me that the obvious, best, safest thing to do is to attach the strap to the bin and put it round your neck(!), but whenever I see pics posted of peoples bins the strap is hardly ever attached. I have to admit though that if I'm just at home and I pick my bins up quickly to look at something I never bother to put the strap around my neck, and if anything it just gets in the way.

Sorry for the mundane question, but I'm curious. ;)

On the 42mm I use a hunting harness. Less strain on the neck. For the 25mm I just use the enclosed Swarovski neck strap. The neck strap also makes it easier to pull out the binos from the super tight case that came with it.

From long ago, the drill was, when you pick up your camera (if you don't put the neckstrap around your neck) at least put an arm through the strap. That way, if you drop it, it only falls the length of the strap.

I've followed the same drill with binoculars.

With large binoculars and cameras I use the strap around my neck.

With small binoculars and cameras I just take them out of my pocket.

Medium size could be either strap or no strap.

Last edited:
With large binoculars and cameras I use the strap around my neck.

With small binoculars and cameras I just take them out of my pocket.

Medium size could be either strap or no strap.

I'm thinking about Leica 42's (which I think are generally on the smaller side for a 42).

Hyvaa iltaa Mike.

Try various options, see which is best.
Using a strap is safer for top end gear.

I smashed a Minolta SRT 101 that fell 16ft onto concrete. Photographing a stupid underperforming comet.
Also a Ross 10x70 monocular one third broken prism on granite on ice. Almost did myself in also. (Kaivopuisto Ursa).
A few eyepieces also, but generally I've been lucky.

From long ago, the drill was, when you pick up your camera (if you don't put the neckstrap around your neck) at least put an arm through the strap. That way, if you drop it, it only falls the length of the strap.

I've followed the same drill with binoculars.

+1
Considering the amount of money that is tied up in one pair of bins and the cost of repairs it should be the obvious choice.

Hi,

I use the strap always when out birding and try to do so too when having a quick peek off the balcony - but of course sometimes one forgets this... luckily no damage yet...

I probably was traumatized by some childhood event when the new 8x30 JIB porros fell one and a half foot from my mom's hand to the ground and promptly broke the bridge... must have been sometimes in the seventies... and they weren't replaced for quite some time...

Found the bins some time ago - in retrospect it was not a great loss...

Joachim

I never use a strap on any binocular. Straps or a harness are completely useless to me if I'm being agile ie: bush walking, tree climbing or rock climbing/scrambling for the best view. They are also useless to me if I'm using binoculars in the car or at home or any other semi domestic location. I use a small and snug back pack, or a messenger type bag. Otherwise I directly carry the binocular case, or best of all - I have the binocular in hand and at the ready.
I find that straps dramatically reduce the ergonomy and agility of binoculars. They also look ghastly, which is why we never see a photo of a strap tethered to a binocular in a Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica catalogue.

Touch wood, I've never dropped a binocular, but if and when I do, I view it as a tiny price to pay for the decades of agile and hassle free binocular use I've enjoyed. My binocular behaviour will no doubt change into the future.

Cheers,

Rathaus

I too never use a strap....just carry them in my hands but a strap attached. As Rathaus stated, if I am climbing or need both hands, I strap, otherwise now.

Also, if I strap, I use just the type that goes around the neck. To me, those harnesses are cumbersome, especially in any type of tropical weather where you build up sweat etc....

Freedom man,.....freedom....

Being a photographer I always have straps attached and always have them around my neck, even in the house.

When out in the field I have one hand on my binos at all times, my rule for 99% of the time being 'one hand for me, one for the bins'. If I need two hands for me, when climbing over rocks or similar, then I slip the bins inside my jacket or shirt or whatever.

Usually if I want to photograph bins for reviews I will take off the strap if I have the time to do it as straps do look rubbish in such pics.

I don't use a harness because I always have a backpack with chest strap and waist strap and on the waist strap I have two camera holsters. I am strapped up quite enough without a harness thank you, even though I acknowledge they are great for heavier bins.

Lee

I love straps. For full-sized bins, my favorite by far is the Op/Tech Fashion "Bino" version. It doesn't have sharp edges, conforms to the neck, has no scratchy hardware, and has enough give without being bouncy. I make the length just barely long enough to carry the bin under my arm (bandolier style) if desired. At that length it generally rides reasonably high on the chest in normal wear. Alternatively, at that length it can also be worn around neck and then over back side of one shoulder. With such a comfortable strap, I've found no use for harnesses, which get in the way of any other bag, camera, tripod, etc I might also want to carry sometimes. Some people complain of weight on their neck but I think usually they must be reacting to something other than the weight of bins, which is modest compared to one's head. Or maybe because I am a bicyclist and often ride in a fairly head-down posture, my neck is stronger han average.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118809-REG/OP_TECH_USA_1601412_Fashion_Strap_Bino_Black.html

--AP

I use a strap connected to the binocular lugs, but on my 8x32 Leica Ultravid HD, I swapped it out for a Domke Gripper that just feels better than the chintzy one supplied by Leica.

I have a small strap that i kept from a pair of leupolds katmais ,nad that i have modified through the years to meet my personal needs..I basically attached fast release clicks ,also salvaged from the looooooong strap of the original zen rays,,,these clicks make the strap easy to detach,so i can use it or not..pretty straight forward!..the modification versus other fast release straps in the market,is that I cut everything to my personal needs and sewed the clickys ,so no need for extra loops or the annoying plastic hardware

A strap is a godsend to the lazy birder, it frees up the hands and allows one to have a snack or to look up a bird without stowing the binocs in some inaccessible pocket.
The glitch, for those who carry heavy glass such as a 10x50 or a Canon 10x42IS, is that one disconnect sends everything crashing to the ground.
The Op-tech Utility Sling:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5TE1NA/ref=twister_B01B7HO2VC?_encoding=UTF8&th=1
eliminates that concern for me.
Two quick release attachments, so no single point failure possibility, a comfortable flexible padded section and quite adjustable.
Like Troubador, I've found them more comfy and more flexible than a harness.
I now use two, one for my Canon, the other for the ED-50 scope/monopod.

I used to use neoprene strap for heavy binoculars, but I have switched to Rick Young Outdoors (RYO) harness. I also use it for lighter binoculars as well. I bought some extra clip on connectors so I can quickly and easily move harness from one binocular to another. I always keep one harness on a binocular in my car and the other harness on whichever binocular I plan to use for a given outing.

The RYO harness is comfortable, and the binoculars don't bounce or swing around--they are always right there to quickly get on target.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back