• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew ID help (1 Viewer)

GuyScharf

I've seen these birds at Baylands nature preserve in Palo Alto, California. I think the first is a long-billed Curlew. Is that right, or is it something else?

The second photo is of another bird seen in the same area. This one looks like the first, except the bill is straight rather than decurved. This is not just a question of angle of view; I've looked carefully and photos of the same individual from several angles show a straight bill. I've seen a number of individuals with the straight bill.

What is this bird?

Thanks.

Guy

Attachments

• DSC_7989 Long-Billed Curlew-01.jpg
    DSC_7989 Long-Billed Curlew-01.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC_7999 straight bill-01.jpg
    DSC_7999 straight bill-01.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 163
I agree with above. The bill on the Marbled Godwit is generally two toned (fleshy towards base and dark from midpoint to tip) and is shown like that in most field guides. I believe your bird has a bill covered in mud and thus it looks all dark.

Thank you all.

Yes, both birds were busy probing the mud. The tide had just gone out and all the birds were feeding.

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back