• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waste from Ireland (south) illegally dumped in Northern Ireland (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
This one should be of interest to Northern Irish BFers. Quarter of a million tons of municipal and household waste from the South dumped in 20 illegal landfill sites in Northern Ireland between 2002 and 2004. Shameful, Disgraceful and Incomprehensible...how the hell did waste trucks make so many unnoticed journeys over the border?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0612/breaking1.htm

I´m rapidly coming to the conclusion that I live in a Failed State. Economically and Morally bankrupt, and dumping its waste in another jurisdiction.

I´m rapidly coming to the conclusion that I live in a Failed State. Economically and Morally bankrupt, and dumping its waste in another jurisdiction.

You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment.;)

Know all about it, of course in the "Ireland of equals" we're all probably allowed to dump wherever we want.

Now I'm away to get drunk.

The same way all those fuel trucks are doing it ;)
True. Which way do they go? Or is it both ways, depending on comparative prices? Now that half the south is doing its weekly shopping in the North as well, the cross-border traffic must be horrendous....;)

I was driving on the M50 round Dublin a year or so ago and a rubbish truck with no rear number plate was outside me. A Garda car was right behind it for a good five minutes. As the next junction came up the Garda car pulled off and the truck went on its way....
Paul

I was driving on the M50 round Dublin a year or so ago and a rubbish truck with no rear number plate was outside me. A Garda car was right behind it for a good five minutes. As the next junction came up the Garda car pulled off and the truck went on its way....
Paul
That rubbish truck wasn´t heading north on the M50, by any chance?

Certainly was and turned off at the N2. Could have been an entirely innocent truck of course, but not the first large dumper truck full of rubbish I've seen without a rear number plate. Saw one heading south on the tallaght bypass once.
I'm sure illegal dumpers are not prejudiced - they will tip in any remote beauty spot they can find - north or south.
Paul

Certainly was and turned off at the N2. Could have been an entirely innocent truck of course, but not the first large dumper truck full of rubbish I've seen without a rear number plate. Saw one heading south on the tallaght bypass once.
I'm sure illegal dumpers are not prejudiced - they will tip in any remote beauty spot they can find - north or south.
Paul
True. I cycle in the Wicklow Hills a lot, and from the height of a bicycle, you can see into the ditches. The pride with which we value our "Wicklow Mountains National Park" is impressive....there are entire bathroom suites, plus tiling, mirrors, etc. dumped in the ditches at the Sally Gap!!! Some geezers are putting in new bathrooms for folk, and when they take away the old fittings, they fly-tip them!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back