• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hide Clamps for Digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

wilder

Chris (tine)
Are hide clamps stable enough to use for digiscoping? At present I take my tripod with me, but it can be a nuisance at times, and I was wondering whether a hide clamp would hold everything firmly enough to take photos.

Chris

Chris

I find my hide clamp fine, although it is quite a solid clamp. The only problem I do find, and this equally applies to a tripod in a hide, is what I suppose could be best described as "hide bounce" which can cause camera shake.

Ian

Chris
I tried digi with a hide clamp at Titchwell during the summer for precisely the same reason but found that there was too much vibration in the hides to get any good shots. You are fastening the setup to a wooden structure that moves every time the door was shut or people moved around. It may be possible to use one if you are either on your own in a hide or if the hide is of brick /concrete construction.

wilder1957 said:
Are hide clamps stable enough to use for digiscoping? At present I take my tripod with me, but it can be a nuisance at times, and I was wondering whether a hide clamp would hold everything firmly enough to take photos.

Chris

I regularly digiscope using my hide clamp, though there are some hides where it is impractible. For example there are hides at Leighton moss where the shelf is just not fastened securely to the walls and so the clamp is continually moving, there are other hides where the shelf to clamp to is not suitable by having had an edging strip placed on the front edge of the shelf which leaves a surface on the underside that is not level to clamp to. Then there are places like Pennington Flash where the construction of the hides is massively over engineered and my hide clamp will just not open wide enough to go on the shelf.

I'm pretty much resigned to lugging my full tripod set-up around if I want to digiscope (and I usually do).

The hide clamp can work, and I've had a few fine results like this, but there are just too many extra variables to worry about for my liking (as described above - doors banging, shelves vibrating, whole hides shaking etc).

I find digiscoping with my level of technical incompetence and cack-handedness frustrating enough without all of this going on. Recently at Minsmere it felt like everytime I got a shot lined up, someone was behind me with on a pogo stick |:(|

Of course, you don't have to restrict the use of a hide clamp to a hide: farm gates, branches, fences and railings can all present shooting opportunities without having to worry about the curse of hide bounce!

;)

I have the Manfrotto hide clamp and find it very suitable for digiscoping. The only issues are those mentioned above about wooden hides and vibrations - the same thing applies to tripods used in these circumstances.

The clamp itself works just fine if you have the hide to yourself or maybe just one other.

blythkeith said:
Of course, you don't have to restrict the use of a hide clamp to a hide: farm gates, branches, fences and railings can all present shooting opportunities without having to worry about the curse of hide bounce!

;)

What, outside? in your part of the world in winter? :eek!:

You're a hardy breed up there then?

Last edited:
I tried it once. I got a nice shot lined up on a wader some distance away only for someone to lean on the shelf to steady their 8x32 bins and I ended up with a view of the top of the trees about 50ft above the bird.

A tripod, a nice concrete floor, and a 30ft exclusion zone works a treat.

wilder1957 said:

Chris

Chris

forgive the obvious but why dont you use a bean bag ? either self made or buy one, i use double bean bag sewn across the middle which is placed over the frame edge in the hide and the scope placed right on it, steady as a rock, and a piece of thin rope sewn on to the bean bag and placed round your wrist or foot by a loop to stop it accidently falling out? Much more steadier than a clamp or tripod IMHO ?

Regards

Paul

Paul Hackett said:
Chris

forgive the obvious but why dont you use a bean bag ? either self made or buy one, i use double bean bag sewn across the middle which is placed over the frame edge in the hide and the scope placed right on it, steady as a rock, and a piece of thin rope sewn on to the bean bag and placed round your wrist or foot by a loop to stop it accidently falling out? Much more steadier than a clamp or tripod IMHO ?

Regards

Paul

Doh!...Now why didn't I think of that?? I know you use one for car windows as well, so it would serve a dual purpose, and with my trusty Singer I could EASILY make one. One other, rather stupid question, though. If I make one what do I put in it? Does one actually use beans, and if so is any particular type better than others? (This is turning into Blue Peter!)

Chris

wilder1957 said:
Doh!...Now why didn't I think of that?? I know you use one for car windows as well, so it would serve a dual purpose, and with my trusty Singer I could EASILY make one. One other, rather stupid question, though. If I make one what do I put in it? Does one actually use beans, and if so is any particular type better than others? (This is turning into Blue Peter!)

Chris
Hi Chris
I filled my beanbag with rice and find it works a treat.I bought A
double unfilled one from wildlife watching supplies.
Trevor

Not sure I'd be happy with rice as even in 'humid' conditions it will absorb moisture though I guess it's cheap enough to replace. Polystyrene balls would be better but I'd prefer monopod after tripod or hide clamp if only for use in a hide.

Personally I'd be happier with the Ergorest which is a most versatile piece of equipment - compact, lightweight and sturdy. I am trying to persuade my better half to that fact especially with Xmas approaching ;)

wilder1957 said:
Thanks for your replies. Would polystyrene beads be too light? My daughter suggests sand - what do you think?

Steer clear of sand, the last thing you want is for the bag to leak slightly and sand getiing into your camera/ scope etc, as for polystyrene it may be a bit light especially if you hang it out of a car / hide on a windy day, mine is filled with wheat and i find it ideal

I like the bean bag with rice pudding idea. If you turn really hungry then eat the contents of the bean bag! If it incorporates a zip then you can always refill it?

Right, last question - if I make my own what size should it be. The ones on the various websites seem to be sized in Kgs - not much use to a DIYer! Inches or centimetres would be great if anyone would be kind enough to measure one for me!

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back