• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swainson's thrush or hermit thrush? (1 Viewer)

ojane

I'm leaning more towards Swainson's thrush.
I found this guy on my front porch, probably the victim of a window crash... Apart from identification, can someone help me? I read that I'm not allowed to move the bird, so who should I contact? Are there any wildlife agencies that would benefit from collecting this bird?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 93
  • image(2).jpg
    image(2).jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
The picture doesn't seem to be showing up. The best way to separate the two is the facial pattern (buffy eyering and lores on Swainson's) and the tail (rusty red on Hermit).

The Field Museum probably has a collection of birds, but I've no idea who there you would contact. http://fieldmuseum.org/

Alternatively, the best thing to do might be to look into way to bird-proof your windows. Some suggestions here:
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/page.aspx?pid=1184
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/learn/top10/windowstrikes.php

Agree, Veery. The overall warm brown back is dianostic; other N.A. "spotted" thrushes either have a darker backs or have a contrast between back and tail, or back and head.

The 'weight' of the lateral throat stripe and the rather heavy, dark spots on the underside would preclude Veery IMO. It appears to have a full eyering ( although it is difficult to make out, even in photo #2 ) which would suggest a Swainsons, albeit at the extreme russet end of the scale.

I read that I'm not allowed to move the bird, so who should I contact? Are there any wildlife agencies that would benefit from collecting this bird?

If it's still reasonably fresh, I'd put it in a plastic bag, stick it in the freezer and phone the nearest university biology department to see if they have any use for it and if not if they could advise who might. If there are no takers, I would just toss it. I can't imagine there's a law against this and certainly not one that any sensible person should pay the slightest attention to.

I notice this is your first post to Bird Forum. Welcome aboard, it's always good to see new faces. Hope you stick around.

If it's still reasonably fresh, I'd put it in a plastic bag, stick it in the freezer and phone the nearest university biology department to see if they have any use for it and if not if they could advise who might. If there are no takers, I would just toss it. I can't imagine there's a law against this and certainly not one that any sensible person should pay the slightest attention to.

I notice this is your first post to Bird Forum. Welcome aboard, it's always good to see new faces. Hope you stick around.

That's exactly what I was going to recommend

Being a museum ornithologist, I agree with this. But, place a paper in the ziploc with date and location and name of person who found it. Specimens without date/locale data are just about worthless.

Andy
Collections Manager, Florida Museum of Natural History

Being a museum ornithologist, I agree with this. But, place a paper in the ziploc with date and location and name of person who found it. Specimens without date/locale data are just about worthless.
Agreed; and add to that, the presumed cause of death (window strike).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back