• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Wheatear - longest migration for weight (1 Viewer)

longest migration for weight

I'd disagree - that goes to eastern Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus yakutensis, which fly as far (15,000-16,000 km, [FONT=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Anadyr area, Chukotka peninsula[/FONT], NE Siberia to Natal, South Africa), but are only half the weight of a Northern Wheatear :t:

I'd disagree - that goes to eastern Willow Warblers Phylloscopus trochilus yakutensis,

I didn't realise they went to south Africa - wow!

To be fair I mis-quoted the article - it says that NW has one of the longest migrations of any bird considering its weight.

I thought the N.Wheatear article was fascinating - bearing in mind the birds were geo-tagged. They are travelling from Alaska to east Africa - 14,500kms - phew!

This hasn't been done for EWW has it?

Last edited:
Yep, still fascinating! No, not done for Willow Warblers yet, and likely can't; a 1.2 g geolocator is OK for a 25 g bird, but not for an 8-12 g bird.

I didn't realise they went to south Africa - wow!

To be fair I mis-quoted the article - it says that NW has one of the longest migrations of any bird considering its weight.

I thought the N.Wheatear article was fascinating - bearing in mind the birds were geo-tagged. They are travelling from Alaska to east Africa - 14,500kms - phew!

This hasn't been done for EWW has it?

Superb thanks Simon.

Phil

Geolocators are down to 0.5g nowadays, or even less. Possibly the bigger problem is someone needs to trap and retrap EWWs in Siberia in two consecutive years...

Geolocators are down to 0.5g nowadays, or even less. Possibly the bigger problem is someone needs to trap and retrap EWWs in Siberia in two consecutive years...

Good to know such tiny ones are now available. Might be easier to base the study in South Africa, of course :t:

Perhaps, yes, though wintering birds (in general, dunno about WW specifically) apparently often use the same wintering territories year after year.

I do not have a reference but I believe there was a story maybe 20 years ago about a ringed N Wheatear being caught in Denmark one day and in Spain the following day. Seems they can move quite well.

Niels

Eastern/Western ?

Interesting article, thank you Simon. One gripe - I see in the caption to Figure 1 they say "the three pre-defined wintering regions (red, western; orange, central; yellow, eastern)". But the map colours are exactly opposite to those. OK, I'll go back to sleep now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back