• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for a perfect pocket. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello
I am currently looking for information on which binocular of 8x20 or 8x25 can have a good optical-mechanical quality, above all that has good contrast and sharpness and is very manageable, to carry wherever it is.
thank you very much
Wachi

The new Zeiss Victory (FL) Pocket 8x25 seems to be the best. There are already some reviews here. See also here, posts #13 and #15. The Swarovski and Kowa have mixed reviews and are heavier. (Because of the optical quality of the Zeiss and its FOV I have revised my weight limit policy! Planning to get one soon for use as my main binocular.)

Last edited:
Your choice is between the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BCL for ultimate compactness or the new Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 for optics and eye relief.

There is also the old Leica Trinovid 8x20 BCA, which is slightly smaller and significantly cheaper, while having equal to better mechanical quality and a better strap. The focusing knob is harder, however.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/comp...her/BHitems/1338514-REG_358308-USA_632925-USA

Last edited:
Swarovski CL Pocket 8x25, bright, sharp, good FOV, almost like using an 8x30 in a smaller package. A little heavier, but I never find it a problem to take it anywhere in my pocket. I would guess the new Zeiss Victory (FL) Pocket 8x25 may compare well, I have not looked through one,, but I sold my Zeiss and Leitz 8X20 compacts once I looked through the Swaro, no contest. The 8x20s have a smaller FOV and are not as bright as the Swaro.

Last edited:
the perfect binocular-you will never find

I am happy, so far, with my recently purchased zeiss terra HD 8x25;
alternatives I considered are the more expensive SW CL, Zeiss Victory, new Kowa

edj

Last edited:
Remember that any pocket binocular even the 8x25 format will never give you the comfortable and enjoyable view of a good quality 8x32 or 8x42. You are making a considerable optical compromise for the small size. Be sure you need the small size.

Remember that any pocket binocular even the 8x25 format will never give you the comfortable and enjoyable view of a good quality 8x32 or 8x42. You are making a considerable optical compromise for the small size. Be sure you need the small size.

A compact in the pocket beats a good quality 8x32 or 42 at home

edj

I agree. I had both the Swarovski 8x25 CL-P and the bigger Swarovski 8X30 CL at the same time and the 8x30 was considerably brighter and much easier to use with better optics than the smaller 8x25. But it is not quite as small or convenient. So pick your poison.

I agree with fazalmajid. If you want the smallest possible, check the Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL. If you can tolerate a larger size, try Zeiss 8x25 Victory. Anything else will either be significantly larger or a step down in optical quality.

If you have experience w/pocket roofs and know you get on w/them, don't listen to the haters.
If you don't have experience w/pocket bins, better check that you can use them comfortably and successfully.

--AP

But a $200.00 Leupold Mojave 8x32 beats a $750.00 Zeiss Victory 8x25 and then you can put $550.00 in your pocket! It is a sad fact but all the fancy coatings and expensive glass in a 25mm alpha compact will not make up for a 7mm bigger objective lens in a 32mm. It is a matter of physics and aperture rules. Just get your self bigger pockets to hold the 32mm and you just saved a lot of money and have a better glass.:-O

http://www.cabelas.com/product/LEUPOLD-BX-MOJAVE-BINOCULARS/1664888.uts

Attachments

• ipad-pants-4.jpg
    ipad-pants-4.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Last edited:
Bob .... I asked the Swaro rep last week at the Tucson Festival about the differences between the new Mountain Pocket and the already existing CL Pocket. They are just cosmetic differences. same optically.

It will be very interesting to see how the resolution of the new Zeiss "Pocket" (the manufr.'s official name) model pans out. The Leica Ultravid and Nikon HG pockets have been rated among the sharpest of all binoculars, here. The Swaro. CL has been rated low in sharpness, as for example here, very low.

It will be very interesting to see how the resolution of the new Zeiss "Pocket" (the manufr.'s official name) model pans out. The Leica Ultravid and Nikon HG pockets have been rated among the sharpest of all binoculars, here. The Swaro. CL has been rated low in sharpness, as for example here, very low.

I must have odd eyes, I have both the Swaro 8x25CL Pocket and the 8x20 Nikon HG and the Swaro is to my view easily the better, sharper, brighter and wider FOV.

Brighter, wider FOV, of course, better to you, yes, but which of the two can convey more detail to you in good light? Determining this can be tedious, need care and patience, with an observer of whatever degree of visual acuity. I am just providing more information to the OP that may help guide him/her. PS. Don't worry about those eyes!

Regardless of the technical excellence of compacts, I find the tiny exit pupils ruin the viewing experience. Personally, It's all about viewing ease/comfort of view. I'm not quite sure why manufacturers insist upon 8x and 10x in otherwise tiny pocket bins. Pocket bins are a compromise anyway - If they just backed off the mag to 6x they'd achieve a 4mm exit pupil (instead of 2.5-3mm) which completely transforms the viewing experience. I have Zeiss compacts, but for the reasons above I far prefer the vintage Leitz 6x24 trinovids and amplivids with their 4mm exit pupils and truly massive 212m/1000m fov. These are not cheap, but are one of the finest binoculars I've ever used. The only caveats are that they need to be found in mint condition, and I wouldn't recommend them for spec wearers.

Last edited:

I think Henry thoroughly debunked link 1.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back