• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Flu Reaches Italy (1 Viewer)

SAFM said:
Hi guys,
just found this on the bbc news website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4704046.stm

What do you think

Scott

:hi: Hi Scott

I think the question we need to consider is where did they get it from? From my reading of reliable information it would seem that the wild birds are very likely to initially be affected by the fowl kept in awfull conditions by man.
The whole situation continues to be very worrying, however, and I dread to think what will happen if this gets a stong hold in the African continent, (where it now is reported)where I think they will struggle to control it because of lack of resources.

I understand that there are well over 100 types of bird flu. This H5N1 is especially nasty.

Take care

Last edited:
Hi Scott,

It's dreadful news.

Unfortunately, regardless of how the wild swans were infected (apparently they are thought to have migrated from Russia) all that will be remembered is that they are wild birds, with bad results I fear.

The time to 'batten down the hatches' with our tin helmets on will come eventually I suppose. It seems that folk are even now buying up supplies of Tamiflu vaccine, when it won't do much to ward against an as yet unknown virus. (Sigh)

Let's hope for a more positive sign soon.

Hi Scott,

Doesn't it all seem so very sad, hardly bears thinking of what things 'could' be like if they can't somehow get this all under control. As Brian says though, if it gets a stronghold in Africa the effects could be so terribly devastating. We have to really make the most of things as they are now, enjoying every minute of them all whilst we can. All best wishes,

Sue

Has anyone read about the vaccine given to chickens that prevented them from dying of the bird flu? They feel it may be effective for humans too.

lvn600 said:
Has anyone read about the vaccine given to chickens that prevented them from dying of the bird flu? They feel it may be effective for humans too.

Have you got any more info on that Ivn600? I wrongly assumed that there was no vaccine to help fowl.

Cheers

brianfm said:
Have you got any more info on that Ivn600? I wrongly assumed that there was no vaccine to help fowl.

Cheers
Not specifically but if you search- bird flu vaccine Pittsburgh -in google news some information comes up.There are varying reports about how promising it might be.

Last edited:
Hi lvn & Bri,

Seems as though it just 'may' give us a little more hope for now at least and any step in the (hopefully) right direction has to be good news, but trying at least is imperative!

Thanks lvn, Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back