• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod advice for Zeiss scope (1 Viewer)

Andrea expressed some doubts about the below-referenced tripod-head combo due to the fact that the legs are two rather than three sections.

http://www.theaudubonshop.com/products/tripods

The total length with head attached is 31 inches long (between 78 and 79 cm). Despite the maxim about long center columns adding to vibration woes, I've found this tripod-head combo to recover extremely rapidly from taps, hits, and wind gusts.

I mentioned that I have a Pentax PF80 (w/zoom) mounted on it. I've also seen local birders/bird watchers/naturalists mount Swarovski and other scopes on the same combo. Each was very happy with it over the long run. As for the weight, it is what it is, but it does hold my scope steady.
Mike

Last edited:
Andrea,

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the Manfrotto 701HDV -- that's a decent amount of weight to not carry around, compared to the 128RC.

Mike

Andrea,

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the Manfrotto 701HDV -- that's a decent amount of weight to not carry around, compared to the 128RC.

Mike

I think I'll start to test the new combo from next friday. Anyway, the two mentioned heads are just 0,170 kg different. I got the lighter one as it seems to be ok for scopes, from what I read and hear.

I think I'll start to test the new combo from next friday. Anyway, the two mentioned heads are just 0,170 kg different. I got the lighter one as it seems to be ok for scopes, from what I read and hear.

A difference of 6.5 oz. is nothing to sneeze at. Ounces matter when you're carrying the stuff.

Mike

I wanted to renew my equipment simply because I had old, unsecure (the tripod) and rather unfit (the head) items. Yes the tipod was heavy too.... not the head, which was very small.
Weight wise, now the comparison is:
  • old tripod + head, total 2,850 kg
  • new tripod + head, total 2,220 kg
for sure I'll be happier now, not just for the less weight, but especially for the better equipment.

Andrea,

Mike

Well I tested the combination tripod Benro C2580T with head Manfrotto 701HDV. The whole is not so light , but I used to carry even more. Anyway I admit I don't climb mountains with my Zeiss scope....
The head Manfrotto 701HDV is rather big compared to my previous (unuseful) small ball head.
By the way I'm satisfied

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back