• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 700RC2 head vs Velbon FHD-52Q head (1 Viewer)

Nick Leech

United Kingdom
Thinking of getting one of the above heads as a lightweight head with nice smooth action for pairing up with a lightweight set of tripod legs (either Velbon Ultra Luxi-L or Delta Carbon Fibre Travel tripod from In-Focus). For use with a little Nikon ED50 scope for birding walks.

Which head is better: 700RC2 or FHD-52Q?

I've just ordered the 700RC2 to go on a set of Velbon Sherpa legs I already own for my ED50. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Perry

Those are all overkill for the tiny ED50, weighing almost as much as the scope itself! A small ball head on a Velbon Ultra-luxi/maxi or Ultrek is all that is needed. Total weight of scope, eyepiece, tripod and head is just under 1.5kg. Even the Gorillapod SLR is good enough in some scenarios.

Attachments

• IMG_0295 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_0295 (800x600).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 263
  • PUAKO 113 (800x450).jpg
    PUAKO 113 (800x450).jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 199
Ah, but I don't like ball-heads!

And the very lightweight pan-heads I tried didn't give a smooth enough panning action. Hence, my interest in a slightly heavier (though still under 700g) fluid pan-head.

Well not sure why as the QHD41 ball head in my pic works just fine with just enough tension to allow smooth pan/tilt movements without readjustment or flop. But the 3-way pan/tilt QR that comes with the Ultra Maxi works too, though not nearly as smooth even though it weighs 125g more.

Anyway, the "best" lightweight support for the ED50 has been discussed here in innumerable threads.

Any other views on these two heads?

700RC2 arrived today - not been out 'in the field' with it but have had a play in the garden. Good smooth panning action, though the horizontal pan tension isn't really adjustable and quite stiff. Pan handle too long, but I have a cut down version which works fine. Very light, but feels solid. Only concern is that the QRP is locked in place with a small grub screw which looks like it might come loose from time to time - that said there is a safety mechanism that will stop the scope coming off and I read a few reviews before purchasing and didn't come across this as a problem.

Not sure what else to add - it's only a tripod head after all. Very happy with it and will be keeping it.

Perry

Any other views on these two heads?

I have no experience with the Velbon, but I use the 700RC2 regularly because it is nicely small and lightweight (good match to my CF tripod) and because it allows me to quickly interchange my scope between my tripod and my car window mount (same QR in same orientation). I like it better for scope work than a ballhead, but it is in my opinion only marginally acceptable as fluid panning head, even for birding (i.e. for observation, rather than video photography). The fluid action is highly variable unit to unit, and some are very stiff, even at their loosest setting (esp. in the cold). Most annoyingly, I find that until they are fully tightened, the head pivots allow slight wobble on both axes (e.g. when horizontal pan is loose enough to allow panning, it also allows for some vertical wiggle).

--AP

Hi, I've the 700RC2 that I use with my ED50 on tripod, before I used a Velbon FHD-51Q. They are quite similar in use but I prefer the 700RC2, it holds the scope better when inclining the scope without need to fix the head.

Not sure if that helps, the FHD-52Q is apparently a bit heavier but cheaper than the FHD-51Q, so I'd assume the performance is somewhat similar.

Anyway, the 700RC2 is a safe bet for the ED50.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back