• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More gulls (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

I didn't take this pic.... it was of the obvious birds in flight. The bird at the top left wasn't noticed by the photographer in the field! See what you make of it....

I have resisted taking a photo of the 5000 large Larus on the beach outside at the moment, but its tempting! Beats wading through them solo!

Attachments

• Gulls.JPG
    Gulls.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Michael Frankis said:
A Seagull.

The wingtips are hidden behind a wave, so it's impossible to do much with it. Don't see why not a Herring Gull though.

If it has black wing tips hidden beyond all that white, its hellishly long-winged

Last edited:
Assuming it is a white-winged gull, I don't see the short-primary extension and stepped tertials of Glaucous, so I'm going to plump for Iceland. It seems to have a round enough head and long enough wings. But do the primaries look a bit too pencil-thin? And if so, does that imply anything?

Jason

It looks quite like an Iceland to me but the bill seems very bright and rather Herring Gull like, at least from what we can see of it. Nice Little Gulls by the way.

As Michael say, we will never know...but it did seem a bit of a coincidence at the time. I do know someone who was concentrating really hard on taking flight shots of Black Terns. when he got the pics back there was a White-wing in them!

just looks like one of those pix that makes a common bird appear like it may be something else. Like Michael I don't think the prims are visible so not much really doable on it. The rest of it doesn't say anything else to me either other than prob a Herring

I still think it is unidentifiable. The white at the tail end I am fairly certain actually is the tail, the wings being below the body-tail line either because it is bathing, feeding (plunge-diving) or perhaps sick/weak. Once seen this way, then the wingtips are largely hidden below the wave in front, but there is a dark spot there which could be part of a black wingtip (not saying it definitely is, but it can't be ruled out)

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back