• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod & heads for 82mm scope (1 Viewer)

MichelleOhio

I am looking at tripods for an 82mm scope. The tripod I have is a Manfrotto 3001. Is that macho enough for a scope this size?

I don't care for the head it came with (from the Discovery store 100 years ago) at all. Need a new one; preferable with QR.

Any thoughts or advice?

I just checked the head...it's a 3126. Wonder if I can just make it QR and be ready to go? The reason I don't like it is having to screw the thing onto my optics.

Your 3001 tripod is similar to the current 190 series tripods. If you are using an angled scope or you are not very tall it should be adequate. With a straight scope or for tall individuals the center column would need to be extended quite far and would negatively impact stability.

I believe that the 3126 is equivalent to the current 128LP video head. If it still works smoothly you could convert it to quick release with an adapter such as this one. There are other models available as well.

The main drawback that I can see with that method is that now you have two mounting screws to keep tight rather than just one.

A better (and slightly more expensive) alternative would be to just replace your head with this quick release version.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I currently use a 60mm scope with the 3001 without issue, so I was hoping it would be adequate with the 82. Glad to know it will be okay (if not, I get a new tripod!). ;)

And, you're right...for the $50 difference between the adapter and head, I may as well go with the head and be done with it!

Thanks again!

Michelle,

I think your video head is fine, and if you really want quick release, the adapter option is sensible and economical. Reasonably priced alternatives to that head are not really any better.

The tripod itself is a bit different matter. You can certainly use it and see how it works, but those lighter aluminum tripods are not particularly stable, and they damp vibrations very slowly meaning that every time you focus or zoom it takes a while for the image to settle, and if there is any wind, the vibration will make the image softer. Carbon fibre tripods such as models from Gitzo, Benro or Velbon with three-part legs preferably, are going to be much better with bigger scopes that uses largish magnifications.

Kimmo

Thanks for the reply, Kimmo. I really do want QR as I don't like having to line up the screw every time I want to use the scope....not the end of the world, but just easier.

Maybe I'll just use my set up as is a while and decide how it all works for me. I know there are better tripods, but if I buy the scope, I will have to wait a bit.

Patience is just not one of my better virtues when it comes to birding toys. ;)

Michelle, you might want to check out the Stroboframe QRC-300 quick release receiver and plate set. The receiver attaches to your standard 1/4-20 tripod screw and makes any tripod quick release. So long as its capacity (6.5 lb) is not exceeded, it is by far the most convenient QR system I have seen. The scope (or camera) just "clicks" into secure locked position when you place the plate in the receiver. It can be attached by "feel" without even looking at the tripod head. (You might be keeping your eyes on a bird.) The receiver and plate go for about $50 (US) online, but there's one on Ebay "Buy it Now" currently for $35.91 and used ones are even less. Be sure that both the receiver AND plate are included, though. I posted about this on the Pentax forum, but many will not see it there. I'm not sure why this item is not more popular for birder's spotting scopes unless folks just don't know about it. It is so easy to attach and remove you'll never carry your tripod around with the scope mounted. I think it is even better than many of the "built in" QR systems on tripods that require you to thumb back a spring loaded cam as you hold the scope in one hand and the tripod in the other. - Bill

Thanks, Bill. I will check out the Stroboframe! I'm not familiar with all the parts and pieces, so what is the difference between this one and a Manfrotto, for example?

Michelle, I'll try to answer you here with words, but you can likely find photos on the web that will really make things clear. The Stroboframe QRC-300 is rectangular and consists of two parts, receiver and plate. The plate is less than 0.2 inches thick, though it comes with a "peel & press" adhesive cork and synthetic non-slip pad 1/16" thick that you can attach to the plate's top if you wish. The plate attaches to the scope (or camera) with a 1/4-20 standard tripod screw included with the plate. The receiver part attaches to the tripod head using the 1/4 - 20 tripod screw you've previously used to attach directly to your scope. There are two little red plastic guides on the receiver to direct the plate to properly align in the receiver and when the plate is pressed down lightly it triggers a button that releases a grooved steel spring-loaded angled piece that slides back and is automatically cammed "in" to capture the entire 2 inch side of the plate. The plate and receiver when connected are about 2 x 3 inches and about half an inch thick. The assembly weighs 5-1/2 oz. The receiver and plate are mostly aluminum, but the "capturing piece" is steel, likely for strength. It has an extension that sticks out the back of the receiver and when pushed forward, releases the plate and re-cocks the receiver so when the plate is pressed in again it will snap back into the secured position. The attachment process is quick and easy and gives a fairly loud "click", so you know it is secure. This could be a disadvantage if you were very near a bird or animal, since it could frighten them away. If your tripod is set up, you can hold your scope in one hand and lower it onto the receiver. When you hear the "click", the scope is attached and ready for use.
I'm not familiar with current Manfrotto QR tripod heads, but my previous tripod was an older "Bogen" branded Manfrotto 3063 head. It had a hexagonal QR plate to attach to the scope (or camera). To fasten the plate to the tripod receiver you had to swing back a spring loaded cam spur with your thumb, hold it there while placing the hexagonal plate in position, and then release it to secure the plate and attached scope. It definitely took two hands to do that. Perhaps Manfrotto has more convenient ones now, but that is the only one I have used. Maybe others who have more recent Manfroto models could chime in here. I do know that the Stroboframe QRC-300 is a really slick and easy way to attach and detach a scope or camera to any tripod. It's capacity is rated 6.5 pounds. Hope this helps. - Bill

That helps a lot, Bill. Thanks so much for taking the time to explain the Stroboframe...I believe it's perfectly clear. Sounds like it's worth a shot....I'll let you know how it goes!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back