• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travel tripod recommendations (1 Viewer)

squidge

Wha Whassssat
Looking for recommendations for a travel tripod. It is to be paired with a Nikon ed50 and a manfrotto 494rc ballhead. Must be under 1kg.

The Slik pro 624cf II seems on paper to be a good tripod with the specs I'm looking for although there is discrepancies in regards to its max height on different websites.

Recommendations welcome.

Regards Gerard.

No idea about the Slik (the last Slik I ever used was the good old Slik Master almost 30 years ago ...). I can't find the exact model you mentioned on the Slik website; they only have the 624CF:

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/CS-PRO624CF.html

That one actually looks a bit short unless you're also *very* short ... :) The 634CF looks better.

However, both models have a 22mm upper leg section. That's *really* a bit thin, as far as I'm concerned. The last leg section mus be about as thin as a pencil ... I'd definitely go for slightly thicker leg sections.

BTW, the Sliks are not that cheap. I think I'd prefer them over the usual cheapo Chinese carbon fiber tripods, but if you are prepared to spend that sort of money I'd also check out the Gitzos. They're more expensive still, but they're the best tripods I ever used.

Hermann

Hi Gerard,

I use a Giottos GTMT8223-50 with my Optolyth TBS80 !, I can`t fault it, although I`d consider myself a low demanding user.

On microglobe website they have a Slik pro 624 cf II although in the description they describe it as a 634 cf so it's probably a typo mistake.

Another tripod that's caught my eye is a feisol ct-3332s traveller tripod.

Btw I'm 5ft 11 if that's any help.

Regards Gerard.

Hi Gerard,

I use a Giottos GTMT8223-50 with my Optolyth TBS80 !, I can`t fault it, although I`d consider myself a low demanding user.

Hi Torview,
That looks like an interesting tripod. Does it come without the head or if not then is the head easy to take off.

Regards Gerard

FYI, the 494rc is 2x-3x more head than the ED50 needs. You can easily shave 200g by going with a Velbon QHD-41/41Q. As for the tripod, you will be hard pressed to find a lighter better value than the Velbon Ultra Luxi/Maxi series (nix their silly heavy heads). I think my ED50 kit weighs in just shy of 1.5kg total.

Hi RJM, I went with the 494 rc because I also use a nikon with 300 +1:4. I have an rc on this set up so I was going for something I can interchange with.

Another tripod that has caught my eye is the slik pro sprint II. I'm not sure if the attached head comes off though.

Regards Gerard.

Hi Torview,
That looks like an interesting tripod. Does it come without the head or if not then is the head easy to take off.

Regards Gerard

Hi Gerard,

If you google reviews of this one some forum members say it can be removed others say no !

I`ll have a look at mine and see, its an ok head for the money though.

John.

Slik Pro Sprint II tripod

Another tripod that has caught my eye is the slik pro sprint II. I'm not sure if the attached head comes off though.

Regards Gerard.

Hi Gerard

I have the Slik Pro Sprint II tripod for use with my Nikon ED50 scope. I think it is a great little tripod. There are two versions available - one with a ball-head and one with a 3-way tilt head. I have got the latter. Yes, you can take off the head (whichever you get) and change to another head of your choice using the 1/4-inch mount.

I did have a bit of trouble getting the head off mine and had to put it in a vice and give it a slight tap to free it. But it now screws on and off easily.

I am thinking of upgrading the supplied head for a Velbon FHD-52Q fluid head which is available for less than £30 on Amazon, and has a 1/4 inch mount. It will have a much smoother panning action than the supplied Slik head.

But I have been pleased with the Slik Sprint Pro II tripod legs. And weight is low (less than a kilo), great for walking around with my Nikon ED50.

The Velbon Ultra Luxi-L looks very good also - I have seen others recommend this also, but have not tried one myself.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back