• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (27 Viewers)

DON’T “Hit the road, Jack!”

I am looking for a more friendly forum.

Jack: you won't find one more useful for BIRDING IN NORFOLK, or with such a national and international readership. Six posts since yours have concerned Swift ID (one wing of the 'Pallid's' having a different shape from the other)- and that is how many (most?) threads are. Sort the wheat(ear) from the (chiff)chaff.

I stopped posting on a butterfly site, after receiving abusive personal messages, apparently related to butterfly politics (for God's sake); I still refer to it.

I would give you the same advice as I give those who find some (all?) of my posts too humorous: you don't need to read them, if you're disinclined to guffaw. Skip to that which interests you.

The attached photo shows a pair of 'vicious snipes', only just being restrained.

Pallid Swifts are a nightmare.
Finally, I now believe (yes, honestly!) that we should rename these birds 'Changeable Swifts'- no, not the snipe, silly.

Attachments

• pair of 'vicious snipes'.jpg
    pair of 'vicious snipes'.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 123
I see Norfolk forum is hotting up for the long winter nights, no birding possible after work for most of us, so lots of time to discuss very little. Norfolk forum is a great place to keep a feel on what's happening from afar, if like me the sea is a long way away. I think some of the 'moaning newbies' ought to get off their keyboards and learn what real birding is about. Us oldies had no pagers, mobiles, internet forums to guide us (or mis-guide us it seems) in our early years, it was hard graft all the way- at the monthly birdclub you would hear what you had missed and read B.B. 3 months after the birds had gone! Still, keep up all the news and gossip it's way more exciting than the TV and at least you have got the birds and the coast, what more do you need?

Matthebirder, although in my head I am exchanging the birder part with a word that rhymes with hat.

I must start by saying. Don't ever get a job writing the cryptic clues for crosswords, because it is not hard to figure out who your words are aimed at sir. Please be man enough to express your feelings in full, I would hate these words of historical importance to be misconstrued in anyway.

Ok lets take a look at your post: 'I think some of the 'moaning newbies' ought to get off their keyboards and learn what real birding is about'. Well the 'moaning newbies' are of course myself and Oliver, didn't take Lt Columbo to figure that one out. I enjoy your comments about getting off my keyboard and doing some real birding. I can see how a person that averages 0.37 post a day could be seen to be glued to his keyboard, I mean this amount of activity online could cause a man's relationship to collapse and his job to suffer, don't you agree Matt? My birding has been restricted to looking out my front window, I mean with less than half a post a day how could I find time to leave the house? i haven't fed the cat in a fortnight for god sake.

Did you ever look back to the reason why all this moaning took place Matt? or did you just jump on board the bandwagon for a free ride? I mean, claiming a BTD off Norfolk. What was I thinking? i must have been on some form of diamorphine to attempt such a hoax. 9/11 and the Iraq war doesn't even compare when you look at the planning and years of training that went into attempting to pulling the wool over the eyes of an entire birding community. But you weren't part of the critics, you just want to know why I am moaning at being caught out. Well I'll tell you Matty me old mate, me old mucker, old pal.

The prejudgments. Being called a liar and a fraud. Its as simple as that, and when you give it them back they don't like it. No they don't like it up'em Mr Mannering. They sink away and leave you defending yourself. then the next person comes along and tells you to calm down, which winds you up even more. then you come along and slander the 'newbies' for keyboard bashing when it was your 'generation' who started the whole dam thing in the first place. So you can see why i am so upset can't you Matty boy.

And, as for back in your day. Yes birding was more pure and free of the shackles of birding technology, it must have been great. You have come to another prejudgment though. I don't have a pager, I am a dedicated patch worker (when I find one that is as I have just moved house and been very busy with work) and my mobile phone is about as much use as tits on a bull. let me remind you as well, it was your lot who brought all the gizmos in. So go and take your soap box to them mate. Not every young or new birder is running round with a pager strapped to their head trying to be Lee Evans. Prejudgment is the reason we have fascism in the world, a bunch of narrow minded people running round telling you what you are. Your young so your a bit stringy, until you find me something good I can come look at, if I didn't see it then it wasn't there. This all isn't aimed at you Matt, your just one of the many I am afraid.

Have i gone mad............I think so.

Do i care what anyone thinks anymore..............No.

Should I have cared in the first place...............Looking back, no.

Will I continue to post...................Yes.

Why?............If only to fight for young and new birders who are judged prematurely and made to feel like Oliver and myself have felt.

Will i be banned?......There is a good chance.

As a not so great man once said 'No-one is really bothered about your Diver'.............Oh how I wish it were true.

Kindest Regards Kieran Nixon.

Last edited:
More Swift changes

Jack: you won't find one more useful for BIRDING IN NORFOLK, or with such a national and international readership. Six posts since yours have concerned Swift ID (one wing of the 'Pallid's' having a different shape from the other)- and that is how many (most?) threads are. Sort the wheat(ear) from the (chiff)chaff.
<SNIP>
Finally, I now believe (yes, honestly!) that we should rename these birds 'Changeable Swifts'- no, not the snipe, silly.

I noticed that too, John. Other shots also suggest rounded tips and possibly paler wing panels but they are not high quality ....

I was pretty happy I was watching a pallid swift from beeston bump at c11am (same bird as Dave's photos). First quite distant and then once coming close enough to see more of the plumage detail. It banked and showed the dark outer most primaries and then a paler window in the wing. It also looked very pale fore headed, with a big white chin patch and contrasting dark eye patch.
walking back to the car we had it overhead, much harder to say in silouhette, definitely one to see against back ground or in much better light.

On the whole I am inclined to bow to a higher authority - Stuart was on the bump and his description is not only compelling, it also supports my year tick. :cool:

Attachments

• Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4424.jpg
    Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4424.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4372.jpg
    Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4372.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4306.jpg
    Pallid Swift 111027 IMG_4306.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 120
Will I continue to post...................Yes.

Good !

This is one of the most brilliant posts in years.

Correspondances with and references to The Archers, Dad’s Army, Lt Columbo, global disasters and politics, shepherding and feline abuse, amongst others. Keep 'em comin', Kieran.

Matthew’s comments are not necessarily to be taken as read (or understood). He is one of the mildest of men and not one usually to cause offence. I don’t agree with him about ‘developments’ in birding, most concerned with the ICT revolution. (Although, most optics were worse than chronic and not waterproof, compared with those we now possess.) These have been to our (mankind’s) benefit. They are not by and of themselves ‘advances’; this is a common misunderstanding, mis-applied to culture, too, for instance.

I think he may, as others, have been talking with his tongue in his cheek- and didn’t mean it to penetrate others’ so forcefully. I may, of course, be wrong.

Now I must off into the blue yonder, with my back still in reasonable condition, after yesterday’s yompette-and-a-half.

Anyway....some interesting birds in Norfolk at the mo. I saw the (or one of the) Swifts at Beeston yesterday lunchtime, although when I was there is was pretty much always against the sky and distant after being picked up by PJH. It did appear to have "blunt wingtips", but agree that this is quite subjective (especially at distance). To be honest I was quite glad that it wasn't a Norfolk tick with the views I had (although undoubtedly others will have seen it better). Still, the pager said it was one, so it must have been;););)

Cattle Egret was still at Friary Hills in the afternoon and the Daurian Shrike showed amazingly well in its bramble patch just north of the end of the Nelson's Head track - a real treat. Also at least one Grey Phal on the beach here and 2+ Chiffs with the crest flock around the Horsey corner car park, but sadly no "striped sprites".

On another note, I think its great that we have some keen young birders in the county. I don't believe that Norfolk birders in general (or those here) are unwelcoming, more that meaning can easily be lost in forum communication. Personally, I have no issue with people questioning certain sightings or responding to such questions as long as this is done in an appropriate manner. So keep posting (but please not about that BTD!!!;))....

Last edited:
Heading to Snettisham on Sunday to see the "spectacular". Just read up on the tide times etc then realised the clocks change :s As I understand it I have to be at the car park at 6 15am ready to take the trek to the hides. Trying to figure out if I am going to be an hour late and miss it all or hanging around for an hour because I got there too early :D

Heading to Snettisham on Sunday to see the "spectacular". Just read up on the tide times etc then realised the clocks change :s As I understand it I have to be at the car park at 6 15am ready to take the trek to the hides. Trying to figure out if I am going to be an hour late and miss it all or hanging around for an hour because I got there too early :D

The times have been adjusted to take the time change into account the clock change. Reserve staff and volunteers will be getting to site from 06:15 onwards.

Paul

Personally I've enjoyed the 'Great Black-throated Diver Saga of 2011' so much so that I almost strung a few in Norfolk last week just to keep things ticking over!! Being a sad old git I've got a 'sticky' reminder on my laptop to check the 2011 Bird Report for this bird; and of course records of Cory's. Plus of course Oliver and Kieran's names in the contributors list! As for Jack, well if you're looking for cuddly soft, nice easy going forums then you're going to struggle - BF is really tame. Elsewhere in cyberspace most people seem to be nutters who should start the day with a shot of thorazine!! Much nicer here; just bite the bullet and 'muscle up'. As for the swifts Pallid are tough; I'm sure many people will be adding this to their Nofolk/UK/Life/year list on the basis of others id skills.Oh, and I'm sure I should litter this with smilies/emoticons but I can't be ar*ed. Good birding to all, not difficult in a county dripping with good birds as I write this.
Russ

White Flag

Personally I've enjoyed the 'Great Black-throated Diver Saga of 2011' so much so that I almost strung a few in Norfolk last week just to keep things ticking over!! Being a sad old git I've got a 'sticky' reminder on my laptop to check the 2011 Bird Report for this bird; and of course records of Cory's. Plus of course Oliver and Kieran's names in the contributors list! As for Jack, well if you're looking for cuddly soft, nice easy going forums then you're going to struggle - BF is really tame. Elsewhere in cyberspace most people seem to be nutters who should start the day with a shot of thorazine!! Much nicer here; just bite the bullet and 'muscle up'. As for the swifts Pallid are tough; I'm sure many people will be adding this to their Nofolk/UK/Life/year list on the basis of others id skills.Oh, and I'm sure I should litter this with smilies/emoticons but I can't be ar*ed. Good birding to all, not difficult in a county dripping with good birds as I write this.
Russ

Nice post Tarsi baby,

At the end of the day the county recorders have the final say and my bird wont alter the history of Norfolk ornithology one bit.

I would like to say a big thank you to those who messaged me with positives and say a big, big sorry to all those who found the whole thing a little tiresome. i am sure that if we were all down the pub together we would all be back slapping and laughing. In fact that's not a bad idea really is it? an annual BF Norfolk thread social. We could all wear stickers with our usernames on, what a thought. be good laugh I reckon. Who knows if it gets a few thumbs up i may organise it B :)

Lets not forget we all do it for our love of birds, some of us need a bit of help along the way, some of us need to relax our jaw a bit (myself included in the former and the latter) As a community we should inspire each other to be better birders, this will benefit everyone and those who follow in our footsteps.

Peace bird forum.

Kindest Regards Kieran

Today’s highlights

Yellow browed warbler – 1 on Meadow Trail/visitor centre area
Siberian chiffchaff – probable singing briefly near Fen Hide @ ca15:30. I only saw the bird briefly but is was grey and the song sounded good from what I could find online.
Jack snipe – 1 on fresh marsh
Slav grebe – 1 offshore
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Long tailed duck – 2 offshore
Hen harrier – male over reedbed this morning

I know that there are not many birds about to discuss at the moment but can we keep the forum to birds or maybe it is time to close the Norfolk thread?

Paul (getting bored of it all)

I know that there are not many birds about to discuss at the moment but can we keep the forum to birds or maybe it is time to close the Norfolk thread?

Paul (getting bored of it all)

I'll second that......if folk have disagreements between each other that they want to resolve, can they not be resolved by PMs?

Lets get back to what BF does best... a great resouce for Norfolk birding!

Dave

two hour seawatch off East bank this afternoon, stunning juvenile Sabine's Gull and 4 Poms, 200+ Lil' Gull details later.

Last edited:
two hour seawatch off East bank this afternoon, stunning juvenile Sabine's Gull and 4 Poms, 200+ Lil' Gull details later.

Interesting about the Sab's Josh .. I had a probable juv in amongst the 100's of L Gulls this afternoon too .. but was too distant for me to be sure!

I did find a good candidate for Sibe Chiff on the Point today .. further details on my blog below (plus photo taken through phone! attached)

Sacha

Attachments

• 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 127
Did anyone seawatch all afternoon from Cley or somewhere else? Sheringham dawn til midday (would have been later but I had other things to do) produced about 150 kittiwakes and just over 1200 Little Gulls all east, a really impressive site. I wondered if there would be a Sabine's through today. Sorry to have missed it.

It would be interesting to work out the full number of Little Gulls passing today.

Pete

Did anyone seawatch all afternoon from Cley or somewhere else? Sheringham dawn til midday (would have been later but I had other things to do) produced about 150 kittiwakes and just over 1200 Little Gulls all east, a really impressive site. I wondered if there would be a Sabine's through today. Sorry to have missed it.

It would be interesting to work out the full number of Little Gulls passing today.

Pete

Certainly between 10am and 3pm as I walked up to the Point there were Little Gulls flying around all the time! Groups of 50 - 60 in the distance and I estimated over 200 .. but your figure seems more accurate

1 Common Tern juv
7 Pom
2 Bonxies
1 Shag on sea
20+ Kittiwake
4 nice male Eider
1 Merganser
(not many Gannets)
... and one brown back, black tailed , tern like Gull that landed in amongst the Little Gulls .. bit distant but probably was a Sab's!

Pallid photos

Those last couple of attachments look pretty good for Pallid to me Dave. I know its easy to be wise after the event & photos only capture a split second of the birds actions but photo 2 seems to show the blunter wing tips well ( both wings !) & the darker eye surround can also be made out. Photo 3 is even better with the whole head looking pale, except for the isolated dark eye surround, & also shows a nice diffuse throat patch as well. Seeing these things as the bird is whizzing around in poor light is another thing altogether though, as many of us on here can testify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back