• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopts 7x42 & ZR ED2 7x36 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

has anyone directly compared these two? If so what are the differences optically?

I find myself needing more light gathering in this dark winter we are having.

The Meopta appeals because I know how good it will be because I have the 8x32s and being 42mm the ligh gathering is bound to be impressive.
But the weight of 900g is massive and really off putting. My poor neck!

The ED2s appeal because I have read so many good things on here and being 7x36 the light gathering should be good and they are much lighter at about 700g.
And they have a big fov so afov is good too.

Are the ED2s bright? I ask because my Meopta 8x32s are brighter than some 8x42s.

Thanks
Martin

The ED2 is very bright. Also i think the ED2 has better optics then the meopta. Meopta has a slight yellow bias and show much more ca. The optics in the ED2 is one of the best out on the market at the moment, imo.

Steve (mooreorless) has tried both the 8x42 Meoptas and 7x36 ED2s and could probably give you some idea of how they compare, though I would imagine CA is a bit less in the 7x42 Meopta.

The ED2s are very bright. On a dismal overcast day, they provided a brighter view of the landscape than my 8x32 SE, which is often compared with 8x42 bins.

I also used the 7x26 ED2 in the evening and at night, and I was surprised how bright the images were for a midsized bin. Of course, in low light situations, the exit pupil size is also a factor, and the ED2's exit pupils are about the same size as an 8x42 (5.14mm vs. 5.25mm).

The ED2's light weight is a relief to my neck. Some people have complained about the long strap, and for short users, I can see how the bin might end up becoming a "codpiece." :)

However, I'm tall so it rests on my stomach, and I put one arm underneath the strap and turn the bins to the side and wear them bandolier style, which takes all the pressure off my neck while walking with them.

The other nice feature of the ED2 is the open bridge design, which works well for my large hands, but the design could also work well for users with smaller hands, because the length and diameter of the bins are smaller than the full sized models.

It's certainly not as compact as an 8x32 closed bridge roof such as an 8x32 Meopta or LX, but it has better DOF than the LX and more 3-D like images. The longer FL also helps reduce CA.

The optics are amazingly sharp and the CA is very low. In most situations, I can't see any CA on axis. I used the bins when the trees and ground were covered in snow, and I didn't see any CA with birds against the snow (though I didn't try this with crows, which would have been the "litmus test").

The right EP diopter vs. Meopta's on-the-focuser diopter might be another issue to consider.

My one gripe is the stiff focuser, but some people with the second gen ED2 say the focuser is smoother. Not sure if they improved the focuser or if it's just sample variation.

Last edited:
A strap is not really something that makes or breaks a bin imo. ZenRays biggest issues (other then stiff focus, that is fixed now according to another thread) is the strap, the case and the objective covers. All are easy to fix. The brightness is like Brock said, amazing.

I find myself needing more light gathering in this dark winter we are having.

The Meopta appeals because I know how good it will be because I have the 8x32s and being 42mm the ligh gathering is bound to be impressive.

I think if your 8x32 is "state of the art" the only aperture size that will provide a noticeable jump in light gathering during daylight will be 50mm or more. To get a brighter view also requires a larger exit pupil so best go for a nice 7x50mm porro like the Vixen Foresta.

A harness or nice neoprene "air" strap will mitigate any weight issues.

Rick

Are the ED2s bright? I ask because my Meopta 8x32s are brighter than some 8x42s.

Thanks
Martin

Yes, it is very bright. Brighter than the other non ED 10x42. When I used it first time during the daytime, I was surprised how bright it is. Its true strength manifested itself when using right after sunset. I heard a lot of good thing about 7x42 Meopta too. It should be brighter than 7x36 with larger lenses. It is always a trade-off: size/weight/brightness/price....

The ZR 7x36 is not significantly brighter than the Meopta 8x32 in normal daylight. I just tried my pairs together.

We seem to have an outbreak of "bigger objectives == brighter image" thinking again. Most of the time that's not true. This only true when the exit pupil of the bin is smaller than the entrance pupil of the eye i.e. the entrance pupil of the eye acts as a stop for the whole system. It's a hang over from astro thinking when it's dark your entrance pupil is as large as it can be. It's not the same in daylight.

An example: a normal daylight brightness with an entrance pupil of the eye at 2.5mm. That means that for an 8x bin the size of the objective actually being used is 8x2.5 is 20mm. It doesn't matter if you have a bigger objective you won't get more light into the eye.

What bigger objectives give you is better performance at much lower light i.e. at twilight or in twilight and forest. And higher effective f/numbers in brighter light.

The trick here as I keep pointing out is to measure your own entrance pupil size in various light conditions: you need a ruler and a digital camera. Then you can determine what the maximum exit pupil size you need for your typical use in the habitats you bird in.

I have found that for example my Zeiss FL 8x32 only really are not bright enough in twilight (before sunrise) in a tree covered area. hat's the time I need an 8x40. All the rest of the time there isn't much difference. Of course at 50-something north in winter that would limit my day a bit more especially in woodland.

To get a brighter image you need higher transmission (and I suspect the ZR might have the edge there but not enough to really be obvious).

The ZR 7x36 does have some other advantages though: ED glass gives better color rendition than the Meopta especially in the blue though I do like the Meoptas view too; 7x has less shake and wider FOV but also puts a limit on the smallest things you can see.

But overall there is not a huge difference between what you have and the ZR but the ZR does have it's own advantages.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back