• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding gift - suggestions wanted (1 Viewer)

itsmatt

Hi guys,
I wanted to get an opinion from you. I'm looking to buy my Dad a gift for his 60th birthday and have little clue as to what a birder would want or what would be the ultimate binding gift for someone who is bird crazy.

Your input would be very much appreciated

Thanks

I love field guides and they are not prohibitively expensive. A "Where to Find Birds" type book for areas he might like to travel to would also nice. On the expensive side--excellent binoculars or a scope. Also, anything that could make a day of birdwatching easier--special outdoor clothing and the like. What a good son.
Sue

The ultimate gift for someone who is bird crazy could be very expensive if you're talking about a trip to the Antarctic for instance! What's your budget?

Working down from there could be a night or two in the Kruger with an evening game drive thrown in or even a trip to the coast, has he been to Richard's Bay? If these are above budget then a subtle perusal through his bookshelf looking for his field guide may give you some idea, as Sue mentioned books are a good idea unless he's got a library full. Avoid the beginner type guides as well.

When my family don't know what to get me I usually end up with beer - not that I'm complaining but wild bird food would be a better option.

Hi guys,
I wanted to get an opinion from you. I'm looking to buy my Dad a gift for his 60th birthday and have little clue as to what a birder would want or what would be the ultimate binding gift for someone who is bird crazy. Your input would be very much appreciated. Thanks

One option (which may not be commonplace where you are) is to give him a voucher for a book shop that sells bird books, or for an optics shop. That way your Dad can make his own choice. Good luck!
MJB

Working down from there could be a night or two in the Kruger with an evening game drive thrown in ...

I've spent many a day and night in Kruger, but if someone were to organise a surprise weekend to the national park, especially one of the camps in the extreme north, I'd be over the moon ...for a Jo'burg-based birder, can't really think of a better birthday present, and not bad for accompanying sons too :t:

I've spent many a day and night in Kruger, but if someone were to organise a surprise weekend to the national park, especially one of the camps in the extreme north, I'd be over the moon ...for a Jo'burg-based birder, can't really think of a better birthday present, and not bad for accompanying sons too :t:

Botswana's not too far away either. :t:

Then there's Kurisa Moya Nature Lodge near Polokwane, the list goes on. It's not 3 months since I was in S.A. now I'm pining to go back.

If he does photography then a Lightroom (or equivalent) licence might be appreciated, but you'd need to check if he already has it or something else.

A Falconry Lesson I've been given a Christmas present for them the previous two years and I got another one at Christmas I still need to go on

A cd with bird songs and calls if he's into that aspect of birding, or needs to brush up on bird sounds.
A donation to Bird Life South Africa in his name is also a good idea. Someone sponsored a Puffin in my name at the RSPB for Christmas last year.

[A Falconry Lesson I've been given a Christmas present for them the previous two years and I got another one at Christmas I still need to go on
/QUOTE]

Each to his own Euan, but as a birder I would much prefer something that enables me to experience wild birds than have anything to do with captive falcons or captive forms of any other species.

[A Falconry Lesson I've been given a Christmas present for them the previous two years and I got another one at Christmas I still need to go on
/QUOTE]

Each to his own Euan, but as a birder I would much prefer something that enables me to experience wild birds than have anything to do with captive falcons or captive forms of any other species.

Ah yeah true. I'd be happy with a Guidebook

/QUOTE]

Me too, a bit like giving a vegetarian a voucher for Aberdeen Angus Steakhouse.

Doesn't look like the OP has been back, maybe bought a card instead. ;)

This comes up now and then. Presumably most decent/long time birders already have most of the things mentioned, although of course another birding trip or book tokens would never come amiss.

Without knowing exactly what is missing from their collection, one thing that occurred to me was some original artwork - either original plates from a fieldguide, or a standalone painting. Edging towards ultimate and also kind of safe, unless they have a total loathing for art/don't really like birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back