• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Snowy Owls in the snow? (1 Viewer)

ToadinNH

I got in contact with a high school teacher of mine who is mostly responsible for my whole small-time bird-watching obsession, and he let me know there is a family of snowy owls the next town over from me. But, how do you see snowy owls with a ton of snow around?

Any advice as to time of day is best or what to look for - besides white on white? LOL I would love to see one again. It's been a few years since one flew a few feet from my head - didn't hear a thing....was kinda spooky in a good way!

Do you have a young relative you can dress up in a vole costume?

Otherwise I guess check fencelines/see what other sensible replies you get.

The nice thing about snowy owls is they're active during the day. Pick a day that's not windy, go out early in the morning when prey species are likely to be active, and watch for movement. Also check likely perching spots: fences, dead trees - anything offering a wide view.

Plus, if you see lots of squirrels or rabbits, you're probably in the wrong place.

Snowys often return to a favorite perch, so you could try asking your friend for precise directions. Also look for pellets on the ground under a likely perch.

Do you have a young relative you can dress up in a vole costume?

Otherwise I guess check fencelines/see what other sensible replies you get.

LOL...the smallest family member would be too busy pulling me around sniffing at everything. The mutt shall stay home for this outing. :)

The nice thing about snowy owls is they're active during the day. Pick a day that's not windy, go out early in the morning when prey species are likely to be active, and watch for movement. Also check likely perching spots: fences, dead trees - anything offering a wide view.

Plus, if you see lots of squirrels or rabbits, you're probably in the wrong place.

Snowys often return to a favorite perch, so you could try asking your friend for precise directions. Also look for pellets on the ground under a likely perch.

Excellent! He did tell me where they were...a state park in Rye, which isn't very big, so I should be able to find something!

We'll see how the weather is tomorrow, just had a front move through, so it might be pretty breezy. I might even bring my 35mm just in case! <so excited!>

Knowing where to look is a big start. You can check out sightings around Rye during this February on eBird at this link. If you click on the markers you can see the checklist that people have submitted. If the checklist has a pencil symbol next to it there is annotation on the checklist, often times more specific locations of the sightings.

One of the biggest aids to finding one is a line of cars and people with spotting scopes looking at a field or a dune.

My experience has been that the owls are not very active during the day unless disturbed. While they hunt during the day (they have to in the Arctic) they become more active at dusk. I have seen them perched on fence posts, hay bales, buildings, telephone poles, and small rises in the terrain.

Good luck,
Mike

Knowing where to look is a big start. You can check out sightings around Rye during this February on eBird at this link. If you click on the markers you can see the checklist that people have submitted. If the checklist has a pencil symbol next to it there is annotation on the checklist, often times more specific locations of the sightings.

One of the biggest aids to finding one is a line of cars and people with spotting scopes looking at a field or a dune.

My experience has been that the owls are not very active during the day unless disturbed. While they hunt during the day (they have to in the Arctic) they become more active at dusk. I have seen them perched on fence posts, hay bales, buildings, telephone poles, and small rises in the terrain.

Good luck,
Mike

Wow - that website is a great tool - thanks! Almost like cheating... :)~

I didn't make it up there this morning...too much ice. But will shoot for tomorrow. I will certainly share anything I find that is interesting (and maybe be lucky enough to get a pic or two)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back