• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dabbling Ducks at Llanelli Yesterday (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I am having difficulty identifying some ducks seen yesterday at the Lanelli WWT site.
They were smaller tham Mallards, about Coot sized or a bit smaller, and generally fairly indistinctive grey looking birds. They were, unfortunately, too far away for a good look or for good pictures, but some poor ones are attached.
Their most distinctive point was a white underbelly exposed when they put their heads down into the water (which they seemed to do a lot).
What could they be, please?
Alan
(I would prefer answers that don't say they were young Mallards, please!)
:cool: :cool:

Attachments

• _Ducks1_Llanelli_08Aug07.JPG
    _Ducks1_Llanelli_08Aug07.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 139
  • _Ducks2_Llanelli_08Aug07.JPG
    _Ducks2_Llanelli_08Aug07.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 149
Thanks.
I can see the resemblance but all my books seem to indicate dark brown colour underneath the belly.
Obviously Shovelers don't spend all their time shoveling!
Alan

the birds are all in eclypse plumage,like all wildfowl this time of year
they lose there bright colours and the males go that drab brown colour
the same as the females.

the birds are all in eclypse plumage,like all wildfowl this time of year
they lose there bright colours and the males go that drab brown colour
the same as the females.
Thanks.
I saw my first Shovelers two weeks ago and I'm looking forward to seeing males in their full non-eclipse versions.
Alan

The two upending birds don't look like Shovelers. Possibly Gadwall, but a bit hard to tell from these pictures and this angle. White underparts aren't good for Shoveler.

The bird at the rear of each photo is a Shoveler, but the description of your upending birds as having grey plumage and showing a white belly sounds like Gadwall - did they have a small white speculum (rear wing patch)? Any photos of them not upending?

d

The bird at the rear of each photo is a Shoveler, but the description of your upending birds as having grey plumage and showing a white belly sounds like Gadwall - did they have a small white speculum (rear wing patch)? Any photos of them not upending?

d
I am pretty convinced that these are all the same birds. The top/left bird in picture 1 did a dive a bit later and looked like the bottom/right bird.
I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that they are not all Shovelers.
Alan

I am pretty convinced that these are all the same birds. The top/left bird in picture 1 did a dive a bit later and looked like the bottom/right bird.
I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest that they are not all Shovelers.
Alan

But Alan, as you mentioned in your original post and as is clearly visible in the photo, the upending bird(s) show a white belly and vent. This isn't a feature of Shoveler. So there's quite strong evidence that the upending birds were not Shovelers. You also mention that they were grey looking - again not good for Shoveler. It's a bit hard to be sure what those ducks are (Gadwall or perhaps Teal is my best bet) but they're not Shoveler. The one in the background is but I don't think either of the other two are.

Thanks for further comments.
I am going to work on the assumption that there was at least one Gadwall there. As I saw Shovelers elsewhere on the same day, all that is at stake is Gadwall on my list for August. I have seen them in May, June and July so August does not seem too unlikely.
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back