• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Boxes (1 Viewer)

k9nny

Hello everybody,

Over the weekend I installed two bird boxes in my garden; one is designed for Blue Tits and the other is for Robins, this morning we had at least two Blue Tit families fighting for the one box.

I don’t know anything about birds and have a question, am I too late for the Robins, and should I replace the Robin box with another for Blue Tits? The boxes are only about 10 feet apart; will this cause this a problem for two Blue Tit families?

Also, if I have missed the Robin nesting season, when is the best time to put the box back up?

Thanks, Kenny.

Last edited:
Hi Kenny

First of all, welcome to Birdforum.net

Re your boxes, if I was you, I'd leave the boxes in place as they are. There is obviously some interest already. Is there room for moving the boxes further apart? If so, try moving them next year. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.

Regards

Hi Kenny,

I have a Tit box, which is used every year, with various sized broods being successfully raised.

I also have a couple of open-fronted ones (is that the type you mean for Robins?) and nothing has ever shown the slightest interest in them, despite me moving them around the garden to try to find a popular place each year.

I'm not any sort of expert, but I reckon that 2 Blue Tit families will become extremely territorial and aggressive if you were to put 2 Tit boxes too close together.

If your garden is big enough, the answer might be to put another Tit box as far away from the first one as poss, and you might be able to attract a 2nd pair, or maybe some Great Tits.

Good luck anyway..... Ruby

Hi Kenny
I've had an open-fronted box up for 8 years, and this is the first time it's been used! The robin has decided to have a change from the kettle!
Cheers
Mary

Last edited:
Thank you all, I guess I was just being greedy; one family of nesting Blue Tits and a Robin on the bird table is more than enough. I think I’ll leave the boxes as they are, even though it seems very unlikely that a Robin will make his home there.

Thanks again, Kenny.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back