• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beidahe (1 Viewer)

chris murphy

Used Register
Hi all,
Me and a friend are planning to go to Beidahe next May (probably between 13th - 30th). I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any good tour companies who may be doing trips there at this time? Also, just a question if there are any groups planning to do an independent trip at about that time. Failing that, does anybody have any info they could share about doing a Beidahe trip independently (ie. travel, accommodation, price .etc.)? Any details greatly received.
Thanks in advance
Best regards
Chris

Hi Chris,

Never been, but I know loads of people that have. It seems to be very easy to do independently. Cheap flight, train and good standard accomodation. Also getting around is easy by cab or walking. If you choose to go with a company then Sunbird was highly recommended by someone that went with them with tour leader Paul Holt.

Cheers, Tom.

I've just moved to Beijing and am hoping to get to Beidaihe sometime this month, so I could probably get you some up-to-date info on accomodation, trains, etc. if you like.

Helen

Went a few years back with Wildwings, food was superb and the birding was out of this world (thats if you like being surrounded by calling Raddes and Dusky Warblers whilst watching a male Rubythroat).
Although I was blown away by the birding that year my mate returned the following year and had a huge full which included an estimated 5000 Raddes Warblers in a small wood the size of a football pitch.
Best one grand I have ever spent in my life, my advice is GO and enjoy.

Should be easy to do independently. Try OBC site for reports and the usual bird trip report sites. Once you're there, very little travelling.

The Not BB references on another thread reminded me of the migration work done by Martin Williams et al a few years back - i think a few useful papers came out of this but i don't have the refs to hand. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them.

Hi Chris,

I went to Beidahe a couple of years ago. Went independantly. There is an excellent train from Beijing. Stay at the Jin Shan Hotel. The garden can be quite good, and Lighthouse point is only a couple of minutes away. You can also rent a bicycle here to reach places a bit further away. The hotel will aslo help you arrange a boat and accommodation on Happy Island. I saw 110 species there in 5 days.

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the info, we have booked with Wildwings for their tour, I feel safer going with a company knowing that if something goes hideously wrong, then they can take care of it. My only problem now is to try and stop drooling all over the keyboard every time I read a trip report....
Cheers
Chris.

too late to help Chris (!! - hope you had a great time), but for anyone else looking for info: could try emailing Jean Wang, a travel agent in Beidaihe who has helped many birders: [email protected]

This year the town aims to celebrate it being 20 years since being "discovered" by birders (well, was known before, but kind of rediscovered, then made popular).
I hope to be there in early May; hopefully should be fun, with some top birding too.

This year the town aims to celebrate it being 20 years since being "discovered" by birders (well, was known before, but kind of rediscovered, then made popular).
I hope to be there in early May; hopefully should be fun, with some top birding too.[/QUOTE]

Martin,

I still remember your prophetic comment to an incredulous waiter in Beidaihe on our first trip that, "one day this town will be full of people coming to watch birds". He couldn't imagine it then; wonder if he remembers now, if he's still there!

Is it really 20 years ago?

ee, doesn't time fly

Is it really 20 years ago?

Heyup Dave - long long time no contact!

Yep, 20 years; I hadn't thought of it till received an email from Beidaihe, re the race and the anniversary.

You'll also remember the guy at hotel check-in as we arrived on wintery March day, saying we wanted to stay for three months: "three days?" ... "no three months" ... "ah yes, three weeks" ... "no, really, three months" ... "I'll get the manager"
(pauses reminiscing to dab eyes with tissues ... finishes box of Kleenex and...)

I later forecast some mainland birders would come too - think that notion also seemed silly, but there are some mainland teams in the race this year, which is great. Maybe some will know a bit more than the old bloke you showed a Hoopoe and just said "hao hao hao hao"

Anyways, despite many a forecast of imminent demise, Beidaihe remains a top spot for seeing migrants, tho much of focus for prime birding has shifted a little south, to Happy Island and nearby.
Hope plenty of people make it this May.

Martin

Hi Martin

I will be in Beidahe for a few days before the OBC Tibet trip.... this is in early August. Not the best time i know but can you give me a brief idea of what's going on there at that time of year....

just a couple of lines will be fine

atb
Tim

Beidaihe in early Aug

Hi Tim:

Haven't been in early Aug; earliest was 20 Aug (86!!).
Believe it will be pretty quiet, could be hot, and tourist season in full swing.
Should be some shorebirds on passage, some terns too; a Relict Gull was seen one July.
Summer breeding birds like Forest Wagtail still around; not sure if migrant Arctic Warblers and smattering of flycatchers around by then. For these, can try Lotus Hills - western side may give chance to find quieter areas (without lots of visitors - who mostly keep to main paths).
If possible - Jean W can fix - try to head to coast to south; if not time for Happy Island and mudflats, try nearer Qilihai (muddly lagoon; trees along coastal side); as well as Yanghe real close to Beidaihe.
yonks ago, I did article on Beidaihe birding year; posted on web at:

Birding at Beidaihe

Hadn't realised my POP joined me at the town - glad you enjoyed it!
Cheers,
Martin

Beidaihe anniv

Hi Helen:

I'm not real certain besides the race.

I was there to help with a race at the town a few years ago, so can tell a little of this; maybe will be a bit similar.

Race itself pretty relaxed, it seemed; people going about birding roughly as might have done anyway, but counting species. (Surely some rivalry, but not real frantic.)

On final day, there was a big meeting - all teams present, plus schoolkids and others; fair few media (domestic); a few govt officials there, with a few speeches (I gave one of em!). Prize(s) handed out. Also, I think, a dinner (banquet).
Not real exciting, perhaps, but a chance to try promoting conservation and birding.
This year, too, hope there'll be chance to promote conservation - inc at Beidaihe [can again mention long-dreamed of small reserve!], also at places like Happy Island and nearby. And, can try a little promotion of birding in China: esp now there are some amateur birders in the country, a huge shift from only professionals (some of whom were very much of the what's hit is history, what's missed is mystery ilk).
Will also be a chance to meet other birders, including from mainland - I went to a race in Hunan where there were teams from as far as Xinjiang and Fujian; some had brought gorgeous photos they'd taken - inc wild ass in desert, pair of black-shouldered kites mating. (I was told many of them had "met" thro forum on WWF China website; esp if you can read Chinese, maybe check this out if you haven't already.)
If n when I get more guff, I'll aim to post it.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back