• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in the midlands (1 Viewer)

timmyjones

WIth the holidays coming up i am asking every one here in the midlands to come together and tell me places to go to. If you know anywhere where i can find the following birds in the next two weeks then either post it here or pm me.

Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Wood Lark
Dipper
Tree Pipit
Nightingale
Wheatear
Ring Ouzel
Lesser Whitethroat
Whitethroat
Spotted Flycatcher
Pied Flycatcher
Marsh Tit
Willow Tit
Tree Sparrow
Twite
Crossbill
Hawfinch
Bearded Tit
Whinchat
Cuckoo
Turtle Dove
Red-breasted Merganser
Scaup
Mandarin Duck
Red-necked Grebe
Slavonian Grebe
Black-necked Grebe
Red-throated Diver
Black-throated Diver
Great Northern Diver

The list looks a bit dawting but thats because i have involved most of my lifers that would be nice to get this year sorry if i have got migrants time mixed up

Hi Timmy

First port of call should be the Wyre Forest, both now and also at the end of April.

Now at the forest you could get Hawfinch, up to 4 have been seen at Lodge farm. but, apart from Dipper, which are resident on Dowles Brook, the only other bird you have a chance with is Willow Tit on your list.

It all changes when the Migrants arrive as the birds that can be seen are Redstart, Tree Pipit, Pied Flycatcher, Cuckoo, Wood Warbler and Garden Warbler. There is also a chance of seeing Lesser spotted Woodpecker as well.

Nightingale are rare around here. There is one place that you can virtually guarantee to see these birds but I'm afraid that it is a bit of a journey to get there. That is Paxton Pits (which is right by St Neots, next to the A1) where there were possibly over thirty birds present there last year. BTW they haven't arrived yet. The earliest I have seen these birds was 17th April, also at Paxton Pits.

I have had Lesser Whitethroat a few times at Upton Warren but the only other place I know where they usually visit is RSPB Otmoor, near Oxford.

Whitethroat can turn up anywhere but one place that seems to turn up quite a few is Drayton Basset pits near to Drayton manor park.

Spotted Flycatcher seems to be getting scarce around here nowadays. I was put onto one good spot for these in Shropshire, near the Long Mynd, by Jada Dulo. It is near a place called Bridges and also here were all the good woodland birds as well, plus quite a few Ravens as well. PM Jada Dulo for the directions if you are interested in going here.

Another good area is around Seven Springs Cannock Chase. All the good woodland birds can be seen and the bonus here is that when they arrive you have the chance of Nightjar, also Woodlark are usually seen around Strawberry Hill, which is by the side of the Nightjar site.

Turtle Dove can turn up almost anywhere but near Grimley, Worcs seems to be as good a spot as any. Nearby you have Grimley new and old pits and Holt Prairies where anything can turn up.

Marsh Tit and Tree Sparrow I have had a few times at Belvide. Tree Sparrow are also at Upton warren, mainly on the Flashes garden but I have also had them at the old tower hide on the Moors section.

Wheatear and Ring Ouzel at the time of year you are talking about will be a bit hit and miss but one area, if you fancy some good walking, that stands a chance of turning them both up is the Malvern Hills.

Whinchat I think are later arrivals and you may have to wait a bit longer but I have only ever had these birds at two places in the Midlands. Summer Leys NR near Northampton and RSPB Otmoor.

Bearded Tit. No known sites in the Midlands to me. Twite, no chance around here. there used to be some at a place called Knotbury in Shropshire, near Buxton, but I think they have now gone from there.

Crossbill I struggle with in the Midlands. They can turn up at the Wyre Forest and I have also had them at Eyemore Wood near to Trimpley Reservoir (Bewdley). This reservoir regularly hosts Mandarin as well, but they can be very hit and miss. If you want the chance of Crossbill, Hawfinch and Mandarin as well as Goshawk, then the Forest of Dean is where you need to go.

Short eared Owl are no longer being reported so the chances of seeing one is slim.

Long eared Owl. There is an estate somewhere near to Dudley (Himley I think) that usually hosts one. There is bound to be someone that knows that site.

The rest of them have no regular spots. You just have to keep your eye on the message services and hope some of them turn up. Chasewater is a good a place as any to keep an eye on but I feel that you might miss out on them. Perhaps you have a chance of Scaup as they are still around.

Midland Bird Sites

Timmy

You're too late for all the water birds by now, I'd think, but next winter go to Blithfield and Belvide Reservoirs and Gailey Pools. Of course,it's serendipity with those species. Mandarin Duck used to breed on the lake in Walsall Arboretum.
The Sherbrook Valley on Cannock Chase from Severn Springs onwards shuld give you a nice range of woodland species, as well as the Tree Pipits where it's more open.
Coombs Valley in Staffs (RSPB Reserve) has Dipper and other species - flycatchers, Gery Wagtail etc.
You probably need to go to the southern end of the Peak District in Northern Staffs to see Twites, and Short-eared Owl in Winter.
Try checking out the West Midlands Bird Club information - they have a breeding birds atlas...
Best

David (ex Blackcountryman!!)

If you don't mind a bit of travelling over to the East Midlands there's still a couple of Short-eared Owls being reported at Great Easton, close to Eyebrook Resr., Leics/Rutland border area.

Rutland Water usually has Nightingales somewhere - keep watching the county orn. soc. website news page: http://www.lros.org.uk/News.htm for regular updates of this and any other topical species in the counties of Leics. and Rutland.

Even more off the beaten-track (though close to the Coventry to Leicester road) is Fosse Meadows where I can gaurantee you tree Sparrow and Willow Tit at the feeders in the carpark and good numbers of lesser Whitethroat usually occur around the site, in a few weeks' time. http://www.lros.org.uk/fossemeadows.htm Spotted Flycatcher sometimes breeds here, as well though May will probably be the earliest for this species.

2 Short-Eared Owls still at Rutland, you should also get tree sparrow there.

Wyre Forest (Dowles Brook) is good for both flycatchers and well as wood warbler, hawfinch, dipper should be easy as well, you may get lucky at get crossbill.

Draycote Reservoir has wheatear reported at the moment, but as your a memeber of warwickbirds you'll already know that.

Lesser Whitethroat and Whitethroat usually turn up at Brandon Marsh and Marsh tit usually come to the feeder, you could try Coombe Abbey as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back