• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two from the ''hip'' shots this morning in the garden before disappearing. (1 Viewer)

Ken,

As I've stated to you before. You'd make these threads into a good quiz. It is a bit unfair that you do this here. It is a help section for people with genuine problems I seem to understand? Those seem to be the unwritten rules?
In the quiz forum, the unwritten rules seem to be that it is a game. But a game people can play safely, know what to expect, and test their acquired skills in the process.
A little bit of fun.
When I saw this today, I knew what to expect.
I really think it is unfair that you keep doing this. People genuinely feel that you are in search of an answer, because you do not know what the bird is.
Whether you post these "trick threads" or not, I believe, really makes no difference to revenue generation on BF through ad exposure.
What really generates that is popularity in numbers across a broad spectrum of subject matters. People want things to work ok and feel safe in the "unwritten rules", as well as the written ones.
As far as I can tell, I, and others, feel that this is a quiz-type thread. It does not belong in a section of the forum dedicated to people who have genuine ID problems, and need genuine help.
But, hey!
You have the advice.
I doubt you'll start a quiz thread, and I'm sure similar threads to this, from you, will keep recurring.
But, prove me wrong?

I'd be happy to join in with a quiz such as this. It would be entertaining, educational and most amusing!;)

Last edited:
I only clicked on this threat to see how many people the OP had annoyed with this thread ('cos it isn't the first time)!

How do you interpret a set of ''unwritten rules?'' I for one, welcome all question/photo ID's. From my perspective I treat all ID requests the same, irrespective of whether the OP knows or doesn't know the answer. I'm sorry, but I struggle to see the problem? If it generates triple digit hits then I interpret that as showing signs of a healthy interest in the subject matter and the ensuing outcome. I suspect that the underlying reason for ruffled feathers might be the cause of embarrasment..for giving an incorrect answer. I don't suffer from this ''affliction''. Indeed there have been occasions when contentious images have been ''offered up,'' and c90 hits have generated no response. I deduce that on those occasions self perceived reputations are on the line..and the unfortunate downside to that, is that it might intimidate 'newbies' from putting in their tuppence worth. A footnote to this saga..a second Garden Warbler ;) appeared in the hedge this morning..must be a movement?...and favouring the Buddleia a coincidence or might it be particularly rich in invertebrates? Cheers

Attachments

• A garden Reed Warbler.jpg
    A garden Reed Warbler.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 66
Ken, I think what gets peoples backs up is that if you know what this bird is already, posting here as an 'unknown' could be seen as an attempt to catch people out. No-one likes getting it wrong of course, but being needlessly misled in public by a rubbish photo is a bit more annoying.

Sticking my hand up for putting these type of discussions (where the poster knows what it is for sure) in the quiz section. If they really must continue to be posted in this section, then a wee "I know what this is but thought it would be a good test for others" type first sentence would indicate that it wasn't an ID probem as such (more an ID test), and those who browse this section to help others ID problem birds would know to move on to someone genuinely requiring assistance (if that was their reason for visiting)

Paul I take your point...but from a personal perspective, clearly I prefer a different set of engagement rules..where nothing is sacred and that includes ego's..my own included!
Surely the focus should be on getting it right, whether it be through forum cooperation or independantly. Perhaps in future...if I have some controversial images, whereby I know the Identity, but I feel that they may have some visual/educational/amusing merit for newbies and oldbies alike, I should post an ID known warning?

Back to Reed Warbler....I was able to get another useable shot this morning of the same RW showing how the play of light can, and does affect the cosmetic (might be of more use to newbies?).

cheers

Attachments

• A garden Reed Warbler.jpg
    A garden Reed Warbler.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 62
  • A 2nd. grdn. Reed Warbler.jpg
    A 2nd. grdn. Reed Warbler.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 50
Taken with an SLR - but I have taken numerous shots of garden warblers in direct sunlight and none of them looked brown.

I agree, to my eye Garden Warbler upperpart colouration is a grey brown, comparable to Blackcap...ie no warmth...quite unlike juv. Reed Warbler which always appears to look much warmer...unless it's bleached out by direct sunlight.

cheers

We've had at least one genuine query on here that was between Garden Warbler and Reed Warbler and the discussion carried on for some time. So given that plumage tones are variable in the best photos, even these two can be made hard by poor photos

If you want to post something that would generate interesting discussion, put (in the quiz section) a decent photo of an accro, be it Reed in your garden, or a Reed-type within the range of African Reed, don't people where it was taken, and let discussion of features try to narrow it down. It'd even equip people with good tips to pick out vagrants. I just don't think, prior to you revealing you knew what it was, that any interesting discussion, and therefore a point, took place here?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back