• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breydon Water, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Evening stroll along the North shore of Breydon Water. We decided not to go too far along - about a mile - mile and half, then back. Had a go at counting the birds - something I find difficult not having had much practice at it, hence all the numbers are very 'ish'

Oystercatcher - 50 mostly on grassy flats at Asda end
Woodpigeon - 30
Shelduck - 40
Black Headed Gull - 200
Common Gull + Herring Gull - 100 in total
Common Tern - 15 - first I've seen this year
Meadow Pipit - 10
Cormorant - 6
Whimbrel - 4
Swallow - 3
Canada Goose - 1 pair

odd 1's + 2's of :
Grey Heron
Magpie
Redshank
Mallard
Coot
Tufted Duck
Mute Swan

Highlight of the walk was watching a Grey Heron wrestling with a fish . After catching it and despite several goes at swallowing it, throwing it round, stabbing it and dunking it in the water the Heron eventually gave up and threw it away. In a way quite funny really ...... unless you're a fish.

Quite warm + sunny evening, few clouds but little wind.

That sounds like the sort of spontaneous trip I love! Great birds, great action, great outdoors. Great stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back