• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Gull (3 Viewers)

Musoman

PETE - Nikon/Sony Shooter
United Kingdom
ID-ing Gulls gives me a headache ;)

They look so similar, but the best i can do is Juvenile Yellow Legged or Juvenile Herring

Am i close ?

cheers

Attachments

• Ukn Gull.jpg
    Ukn Gull.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 161
i'd disagree with sean here. it looks to be a 2cy yellow-legged gull: it has 2nd generation inner greater coverts and median coverts, which is extremely unlikely in GBBG. "window" (paler inner primaries) looks strong due to bleached juv primaries but outer webs are darker than inners. tail is better for YLG also.

cheers

When i checked my Bible - the YLG was my first thought, mainly due to the fact that the Reserve i was on have YLG's but no GBBG's

i'd disagree with sean here. it looks to be a 2cy yellow-legged gull: it has 2nd generation inner greater coverts and median coverts, which is extremely unlikely in GBBG. "window" (paler inner primaries) looks strong due to bleached juv primaries but outer webs are darker than inners. tail is better for YLG also.

cheers

I agree the thick tail band is certainly better for YL Gull for a bird of this age, as you'd expect it to be far more diffuse for GBBG.

Just something about this bird seemed to scream large enough for GBBG with its large bill & bulky size. Guess that is too subjective in a photo.

I think the other features such as the 'window' on the primaries & 2nd generation coverts are possible on GBBG...but relent it is most likely YL Gull with that tail band.

Where was this picture taken out of interest?

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back