• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1/3 of Carnaby Black Cockatoos wiped out in 1 year (1 Viewer)

To add a subjective view, Carnaby's was difficult to find in WA this year. It was largely absent from sites where I had seen them in 2001.

The survey teams will know well the species' behaviour and habitats, and so I don't doubt that they have identified a major likely cause of the decline. However, there may well be an additional problem affecting this and other bird species. Last October and November, there was considerable concern expressed on the Web about massive die-back of old-growth mature original forest in parts of WA, some forecasts being of greater than 70% loss. The proximate cause of the die-back was believed to be the excessively high temperatures (45C) over long periods during the previous summer.

Even if the areas of die-back weren't breeding areas for Carnaby's, they might well have been non-breeding dispersal roosts. As I understand it, the forest clearance activity is centred in areas of original forest that largely were not affected by die-back. The circumstances therefore seem best described as a 'double-whammy'...:-C
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back