• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Extremadura (1 Viewer)

summer birding

Should you wish to go birding these days (temperatures above 35 degrees), than a visit to the ricefields looks a good option: plenty of water and insects. I reccomend the zone between Madrigalejo and Palazuela, there you can spot all kinds of Herons and Egrets, Harriers, Warblers, Waders, Red Avadavats (to satisfy Tracy Binks), Bee-eaters, and as you can see on the photos: early Lapwings, gathering Black-winged Stilts and Rollers.

greetz, henk

Attachments

• steltklutena.jpg
    steltklutena.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 146
  • steltklutenb.jpg
    steltklutenb.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 132
  • scharrelaar.jpg
    scharrelaar.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
A change of air

Last days migration seems to increase. Big groups of Bee-eaters come over heading South (photo), Black Kites gather on sleeping sites, Chiffchaffs are singing again (suppose these are from the North of Europe), Northern Lapwings and Spoonbills(photo) are to be seen everywhere where there is some wetland left etc. But Short-toed Eagles and Golden Orioles will stay for two months at least...till the Cranes come in.

see you!

Attachments

• bijeneter-trek.jpg
    bijeneter-trek.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 90
  • lepelaar_trek.jpg
    lepelaar_trek.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 100
autumn birds Extremadura

After a hot september, now finally some rain.
Migration is on top now, with Red Kites, Pied and Spotted Flycatchers (near Guadalupe, photo Rodney van der Spoel),
Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, more Spoonbills. Every day singing Wood Larks (near Aldeacentenera, photo Stefan Timmermans).
We expect Cranes to come in very soon.
We try to keep you informed.
henk

Attachments

• spotted flycatcher.jpg
    spotted flycatcher.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 104
  • wood lark.jpg
    wood lark.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 89
Should you wish to go birding these days (temperatures above 35 degrees), than a visit to the ricefields looks a good option: plenty of water and insects. I reccomend the zone between Madrigalejo and Palazuela, there you can spot all kinds of Herons and Egrets, Harriers, Warblers, Waders, Red Avadavats (to satisfy Tracy Binks), Bee-eaters, and as you can see on the photos: early Lapwings, gathering Black-winged Stilts and Rollers.

greetz, henk

thanks for the mention henk regards to you and lisbeth from me and sue.

OK, you are welcome.
Hope you both are doing well.
Today thunderstorms and rain, finally. Think we gonna use the stove this evening.
H+L

Winter birding EXtremadura

Top birding season in Extremadura – Las Villuercas region.
I think here are more species to be seen than in spring and summer, due to
the enormous migration of birds of Northern Europe, with more than 120,000 Cranes , many Red kites, Merlins, Spoonbills and all that many kinds of warblers, plovers etc.

Also still to be seen Black Stork, Egyptian Vulture, Black-winged Stilt and Black Kite. Especially in the paddy fields you can expect everything, Sqaucco Heron, all species of “white” Egrets, Marsh and Hen Harriers, Snipes, Greenshanks, Zitting Cisticola etc.

And that with all those interesting residents as Black-shouldered Kite, Shrike, Red Avadavat, Griffon and Black Vulture, Little Owl, Eagle Owl, Golden Eagle and also in this zone the Imperial Eagle.
Be welcome!
Henk
(We offer hides for Cranes and Vultures / Raptors and guided
observation and photographing tours)

Guadalupejo river in the Geopark Villuercas

This week a total new environment for me inside the Geopark Villuercas: the ecological zone of the river Guadalupejo, that finds its origin on the slopes of the Villuercas mountains and ends in the Valdecaballeros reservoir.
A dirt road between Alía and Castelblanco follows the course of this nice river through perfect birding areas, with many very good observation points.

In the two days we spent there we could observe Great Crested, and Little Grebe, Cormorant, White stork, Grey Heron, Great, Little and Cattle Egret , Hen and Marsh Harrier, Black and Griffon Vulture, Golden Eagle, Red Kite, Buzzard, Kestrel, Water Rail, Crane, Little ringed Plover, Common Snipe, Common and Green Sandpiper, Redshank, Greenshank, Lapwing, Kingfisher, Hoopoe, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Redwing, Great spotted Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, Meadow Pipit and Watter Pipt, Woodlark and Crested lark, all kinds aof warblers, all kinds of Tits, Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Southern Shrike, Raven etc.
We passed by some this-year-used nesting places of colonies of Bee-eaters, indicating that this area in Spring and early Summer must be super also.

Reason for us to add this route to our offer of birding excursions.

Thanks for joining us,
henk

Fio 2015

This is an opportuniry to combine super birding in Extremadura, with an
interesting event in Monfragüe N.P.
Winter birding in Extremdura is very interesting, not only because of the more than 120,000 overwintering Cranes, but also of the high numbers of Red Kites and warblers, water foil, waders, nice temperatures and beautiful daylight.

The international bird fair FIO offers all you need for your birding hobby.
Starting date: Friday 27th of Febr, closure around 16.00 hrs on the 1st of March.
It will take place in Villareal de San Carlos, in the centre of the N.P.,
in the wide environment there are offers for B&B, apartments etc.
Also a photo competition, see www.fioextremadura.es

I will be there too, promoting a new bird guide for our area, the Geopark Villuercas.

Dutch Birder, henk

Photo contest FIO 2015

Conditions are now available on fioextremadura.es but only in Spanish.
Summary:
You can send in a max of 2 photos in 4 categories.
There is a special 5 th cat for under 18 years.
Closure date: Febr 17th, 15.00 hrs.
Send your photos in JPEG, 4 Mb minimum, to: [email protected]

If you need any help or so, let me know.
Dutch birder - Henk

migration as scheduled

Last week we could see large groups of Cranes and Greylag Gees, heading North. But als the arrival of Egyptian Vulture and Short-toed Eagle,
see photos.
Singing larks, buntings, warblers all over the place!

dutch birder, henk

Attachments

• alimoche2015.jpg
    alimoche2015.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 101
  • culebrera2015.jpg
    culebrera2015.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 82
more migrants

This week, March 11, first sightings of Black Kite and Woodchat Shrike,
see photos.
We hope it will be raining soon, everything is very dry, so we see less flowers as usual, less insects, big problems for birds.

bye, dutch birder, henk

Attachments

• zwartewouwvliegend.jpg
    zwartewouwvliegend.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 98
  • roodkopklauwierKVM.jpg
    roodkopklauwierKVM.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 106
both Bustards displaying?

I'm planning to go to Extremadura in the next month. I was thinking to go at the end of this month, but am wondering if it might be better to wait till after easter. My primary objective is to see Great Bustards displaying, but if possible I'd also like to see Little Bustards display. My question is whether it's possible to time the trip to see both? I don't want to risk not seeing the Greats display for a chance at the Littles if that makes sense. I've read lots of trip reports from this time of year, and whilst they list sightings, very few list seeing Little Bustards displaying.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
I'm also very keen to see owls, and am yet to ever see the European Scops so if anyone knows about that I'd be super grateful too.
Thanks v much

Hi Dr_ADH, the best time for Great Bustard display are the first 2 weeks of April. The Great ones use more or less fixed spots for their performances (Leks), so not to difficult to find that. The Little Bustard does not use Leks, and their schedule is more spread, so far more difficult to predict a sighting. But in La Serena are a few spots with good scores for both species.
Owls: Long-eared Owl is no problem, even in Monfragüe are normally some good observation points.
Scops Owl is very common here, but in my zone people pruned his favorite tree, so it is not sure
that the bird will accept that....at the moment I cannot help you further.
OK? ciao, henk

Hi Henk
Thanks v much for that, trip booked 9-14 april.
Do you know if the Eagle Owls are beeing seen at Portilla del Tiétar ? And do you know if your Scops is happy with the tree pruners?!
Thanks again

Hi, The Eagle Owl is been heard at the observation point "Portilla de Tiétar" in Monfragüe but not bee seen (I was there 10 days ago). As soon I have the details I will give those here, hopefully before your departure. Scops is present in my zone, not discovered their (new) home yet. Helas also none recordings of Long-eared and Barn Owls.....
Sorry, I only can help you with many "concrete" Little Owls. We stay optimistic anyway, and hope to give
more Strigiformes news soon. Bye, henk

Black Stork

just to make you jealous: our guest Alain-Jean Loiseau (mind his name),
managed to make 200 pictures of a Black Stork, just from out of his Van,
where I had tried many long days, sitting in a mobile hide, with only
Kingfishers, Wagtails and some Waders.....Rio Berzocana, Geopark Villuercas.
saludos,Henk

Attachments

• ciguena negra klein.jpg
    ciguena negra klein.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 98
I'm just wondering about what people think about areas to stay when in Extremadura.
We're going to stay the first 3 nights near Trujillo but thinking of spending the last 2 nights somewhere near
Alburquerque; the Gosney book speaks highly of the area. Has anyone had experience of this or got any thoughts?
Does anyone know when the Rufous-tailed scrub robin return, as it would be great to have a chance to see one?

Hi Dr_ADH, dear Adam,

The Gosney book is a good reference for whole year birding. The Western part of Extremadura
(West of Cáceres) is not quite my piece of cake, except de nature reserve of Los Barruecos
(Malpartida de Cáceres), very interesting.
In the beginning of April, when the Great Bustards
perform their mating ceremonies, steppes are the places to be (Belén - Aldeacentenera,
La Serena, Santa Marta de Magasca). For more birding I should recommend the wetland of Arrocampo.

For the Rufous-tailed bush-robin you are to early! Recordings here start in the beginning of May,
and than mostly in the Western part of Extremadura...
The Blue Rock Trush is present whole year round, easily to be seen in whole Las Villuercas for example and
in Monfragüe of course. The Rock Trush is only a common breeder in the Northern higher parts.

Lynx in Las Villuercas - that must be a mistake! Last one is be seen in 1976 in this area. They are being
reintroduced in other parts of Extremadura and if there is a sighting, anybody is alerted. But let your contact send a picture!

Best wishes for your trip! don´t hesitate to ask for more details.
henk

Hi Henk, just wondering if Black-shouldered Kite was still possible at Arrocampo, and I remember seeing them near Monroy a few years ago, are they still around that area. Many thanks . Mark

Hi Mark, I have seen only one Elanio (Spanish name) this year in the Arrocampo area, I don´t have the impression they are breeding there (last year we were sure seeing them on the nest, second breed,
beginning of june, that was the nest opposite of the well known hide-construction-on-poles).
Also until now no recordings on our own forum.
As soon as I have news I will tell you....are you in a hurry?
greetz, henk

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back