• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold BX-3 Mojave 8x32 (1 Viewer)

I've had my 8x32 Mojave's for a couple of weeks now, and I can't add much to the positive things already said. My short summary would be: Very sharp, size is perfect for me, eye relief is great, lots of similarities (as stated) with GR HD's which is a high compliment, hard for me to believe you can get glass this good for under $300, amazing really.

I understand what Bryce is saying about the diopter, but it's no problem for me, and it works perfectly. I also understand about the modern styling, but these are so good you don't even notice them when you're looking through them. I like them much better than the viper Hd's, and they're almost in the league with the Meopta/Euro 8x32 HD's, which are super duper great. Very high compliments for the Mojave.....Leupy hit a home run in my book with these.

I went and bought another!

Hope its as good as the one I have on hand.

Bryce...

I'm going to have to do the same thing stereo.....my Dad shows up at the office yesterday and I suggested he fiddle around with my Mojave. He lives on a lake where there's lots of birds and animals. After getting them adjusted for him, he wound up taking them home (obviously I was quite OK with that, and pleased he liked them so much).

I actually bought a second unit from B and H at the same time as the Nikon M7. I wanted to check quality control and also found that my significant other actually enjoyed using the first pair. ;)

The second pair might actually be a hair sharper than the first. SteveC was able to get some resolution scores from Leupold that I hope he shares. Exceptionally sharp center of field performance and very good apparent brightness. The focusing knob on the second unit is faster/smoother than the first. No stick-ion whatsoever.

MarineMaster,

I think I am going to start a new thread in the main forum for the comparison. I have only had the two of them together for about 48 hours now so I only going to post my initial impressions.

Please keep in mind that my M7 8x30 unit appears to be one like Binoboy's which lacks coating on three separate internal elements. As a result contrast, microcontrast is what I would call it, is lacking compared to the unit I tried down at Cape May two weekends ago. So, take my initial impressions with a grain of salt. I am working on possibly getting a replacement for the Nikon.

The second pair might actually be a hair sharper than the first. SteveC was able to get some resolution scores from Leupold that I hope he shares. Exceptionally sharp center of field performance and very good apparent brightness. The focusing knob on the second unit is faster/smoother than the first. No stick-ion whatsoever.

Steve C was given those specs and asked not to publish them. However I will say this, what they told me is believable, as is their light transmission %. Further, they need to do very little in regards to either one to step up to improve this glass. You are not going to get a lot better before running up against the practical constraints of the Dawes Limit. About as good as you can get a $350 binocular I'm thinking.

Frank and I have both put the proverbial bug in Leupold's ear about the Mojave. This is too good a binocular to expend its life expectancy as the home of a mid level binocular. They have the basics in hand with the Mojave. They can easily, IMO, with just a bit of effort at the $750-ish MSRP level, create a serious and substantial challenge to the $1,000 class. With some more eye to detail and a bit further effort from that point, IMO, they can challenge anything. I suppose the same could be said for the Monarch 7 8x30, but I can't see Nikon competing with themselves and the EDG. Leupold, on the other hand has not given up on a new Gold Ring binocular line, so the above seems to make more sense for them.

I just got a Monarch 7 8x30 yesterday from BF member PhilR. Initial impressions between the two are sort of like being a judge in a championship fight between two skilled contenders, neither of which is able to knock the other one down. Close your eyes and grab one and head out the door to watch stuff...it really matters not which one you grab. :t:

I just got a Monarch 7 8x30 yesterday from BF member PhilR. Initial impressions between the two are sort of like being a judge in a championship fight between two skilled contenders, neither of which is able to knock the other one down. Close your eyes and grab one and head out the door to watch stuff...it really matters not which one you grab. :t:

If that is the case, I'll take the Leupold every time.

I actually bought a second unit from B and H at the same time as the Nikon M7. I wanted to check quality control and also found that my significant other actually enjoyed using the first pair. ;)

This is what I was wondering, sample variation.
I purchased one of gcole's so when they arrive I can see if there's any differences.

Frank care to elaborate a little more between the 2 samples?

Is the focus faster? Or just smoother? Any difference between barrels, sweet spot size?

Thanks, Bryce...

In the back seat....

Well, Leupold is still in the backseat of my car.....I sent them an e-mail some months ago asking if it is possible to fix my McKinley 8x42 to get it usable down to at least -20°C and how much it would cost but never got an answer from them....

Vortex is also sitting comfortly together with Leupold, they never replied either on a question concerning sub zero performance on their binoculars....

That´s customer support....;-)

This binocular seems to be a very good choice at only 17 oz. I appreciate the
positive reviews.
I do have questions for anyone who has tried the 8x42 version of the Mohave.
Any experience, as I find the 42 to be a great all around size for general use?

I see they are lightweight for a 42mm. style of the open bridge binoculars common
to the market today, 23 oz. Is the 42 more of a clone of some others on the market?

As far as specs. with both the 8x32 and 8x42, I find the words "cold mirror coated"
prisms, and I wonder what that means?

Also, I do not see any use of ED glass.

Jerry

Jerry,

I am NOT a fan of the x42 and x50 mm Mojave. The construction is good and the optics are OK. However, my objection is a very tunnel like narrow fov that leave me the impression of looking down a paper towel tube. I don't like it much. As to their optical or mechanical relationships to anything else, I just don't know.

Cold mirror coating is I think a buzzword for the way modern prism mirror coatings are applied. In the past, and maybe with some coatings today, the coating was applied at high temperature. The cold mirror coatings are applied at much less temperature. Past that somebody else needs to pitch in.

You are correct in your observation of no ED glass. Leupold does not use it in their Mojave series. The 42 and 50 Mojaves are due for a makeover next year, but I have no idea just when next year, or if they get the same glass and coatings of the 32 series. I do think one of their upgrades will be a wider fov...seems like I remember that in conversations with Leupold over the new Mojave 32.

Well, Leupold is still in the backseat of my car.....I sent them an e-mail some months ago asking if it is possible to fix my McKinley 8x42 to get it usable down to at least -20°C and how much it would cost but never got an answer from them....

Vortex is also sitting comfortly together with Leupold, they never replied either on a question concerning sub zero performance on their binoculars....

That´s customer support....;-)
That is too bad, but maybe a continent and an ocean may complicate matters. I'd say call them, but that distance might make it tyough too.

My McKinley focus is usable at -20*F.

Keep your eye on your PM inbox, I'll send you a better contact source for Leupold. Gotta clear it with him first.

Last edited:
Jerry,

I own the 8x42 BX-3 Mojave. In all respects, it fits in fine at its price segment. The FoV can sometimes feel a bit small, smaller than its stated 7* field for whatever reason that may be. Despite the lack of extra-low dispersion glass, I find it handles CA quite well. I've read elsewhere that "cold mirror coatings" are very similar to dielectric coatings in terms of their results, but different in application. I couldn't say much more than this, though.

Handling of the 8x42 Mojave is very good; they are light, offer good eye relief/"eyegonomics," and good mechanics/durability.

Justin

Steve C, others, how does the new Leup. Mojave 8x32 compare in optical quality with 8x32/33 glasses of the Kowa Genesis, Meopta (Euro) HD and Zeiss Conquest HD class - in specific aspects like sharpness? Appreciate comments even from memory, not necess. from a "side by side" test. Thanks.

Steve C, others, how does the new Leup. Mojave 8x32 compare in optical quality with 8x32/33 glasses of the Kowa Genesis, Meopta (Euro) HD and Zeiss Conquest HD class - in specific aspects like sharpness? Appreciate comments even from memory, not necess. from a "side by side" test. Thanks.

I am in occasional contact with a fellow who has the Meopta (Cabela's Euro HD) as well as the Mojave. He says the Mojave is very close to his Cabela's. I'd say, from memory, the Mojave will remind people a lot of the Zeiss Conquest HD in terms of sharpness, overall image characteristics and color balance. What you will notice as you go to the $1,000 class is not so much better optics, but there will be positive differences in the more expensive stuff, but rather a better build quality. It is the same old ...what you get for your money with modern mid price vs more expensive stuff.

Pomp,

I haven't tried the new Euro 8x32 or the Genesis in 8x33. I did try the Conquest HD 8x32 actually directly against the Mojave when I was down at Cape May. I think I posted my opinion of it in SteveC's Mojave review thread.

Basically the Conquest HD is a little brighter and more neutral in color. I got more a warm (reddish) color representation with the Leupold when comparing the two side by side though, on its own, I didn't notice the bias in the Leupold. I didn't feel there was any difference in apparent sharpness or CA control. The sweet spot size was just a small percentage wider in the Conquests.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back