• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July in Austin (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hi together,

I will be in the third week in Austin Pflugerville.
Is there any good place for Hummingbirds, Waders, Herons or some other birds.
Because I have been never in the east of US, all kind of birds will be interesting for me.

Is there any recommended accomodation like B&B, Hotel or similar about 20 minutes drive away from Northeast Metro Park ?
Price level until 120 US$ per night for a single person.

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
I've never been to Austin, so I can't help you with that. However, if no one steps up, go to texbirds create an account and ask your questions there.

"TEXBIRDS is the Texas e-mail list for posting ornithological observations in Texas. Amateur Ornithologists (birders and birdwatchers) and professional ornithologists alike are welcome."

Lots of good people there however, if no one steps up you can research the sightings by reading the current monthly emails or go through the archives. Posts are listed by date and subject. You'll find Austin Area Rare Bird Alert throughout June and I suspect previous months also.

Texbirds Reference Page
Texbirds Subscription Page - enter email, select subscribe, click on Go!
Post For Texbirds 06-2016
Archive For Texbirds

Might want to scan July 2015 archives to see what sighting they had last year.

There's also a FreeLists for Ohio birding, in case you need it.

Ohio-Birds Home Page subscribing is on the right hand side.

Good Luck my friend..!!

Hornsby Bend is the place to go for waders: http://www.hornsbybend.org/
It's (too) late in the year to see the real stars of Austin: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/balcones_canyonlands/
Here you might still have a chance of seeing Black-chinned Hummingbird.
Do go and see the bats leave their roost at Ann W. Richards Congress Avenue Bridge (stand under the bridge for the best view).
Nice birds in the rather German-looking farm land northeast of Austin include Dickcissel and Painted Bunting.
Access is not easy, but around Granger Lake there are some public lands.

Note that July is extremely hot and humid (up to 40 °C).

Thank Yo both for the advice.

Hopefully embassy will take more time for VISA and the travel will be postponed for some weeks.
But I suppose it will be hot until autumn ?

Best place is Hornsby Bend SE of Austin but still in Travis County

Hi together,

I will be in the third week in Austin Pflugerville.
Is there any good place for Hummingbirds, Waders, Herons or some other birds.
Because I have been never in the east of US, all kind of birds will be interesting for me.

Is there any recommended accomodation like B&B, Hotel or similar about 20 minutes drive away from Northeast Metro Park ?
Price level until 120 US$ per night for a single person.

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Best place is Hornsby Bend SE of Austin but still in Travis County.

This link lists all birding hotspots in the area ranked (in lower right corner--maps are provided if you follow the links). You may want to poke around this website and set the date filters on the bar graphs to July. There aren't many hummingbird species around in July.

http://ebird.org/ebird/subnational2/US-TX-453?yr=all

John B
Houston (about 165 miles from Austin)

Hello together,

I am back today.

I had great luck, at first weekend it was rainy and much cooler than usual in Austin.
3 miles from my hotel was lake Pflugerville.
There was some birds mostly herons very close.
Green Heron sometimes only about 50 feet away.
So close like in US, it is not possible to have Herons in Germany and in the most other Europe countries.
300 - 500 feet and more is normal in Germany.

I visited Grangers lake. Many voices but most of the birds was deep in the forest.
North of the lake was one Upland Sandpiper.

Hornsbys Bend was excellent for waders 2 weeks ago.
Last weekend was not so good.
But I was not sure, one wader I think was Sanderling and 2 Knots.
But on this day it was very hot and the light was not so good.
In the forest is hard to define birds, but deers was there.

Ohio was a big surprise.
My hotel was in West Chester in the north of Cincinnati.
Easy to reach is Winton Forest with some birds and even trails e.g. Trilium Trail where it is possible to see deers.

I had 2 afternoons free and so I visited Miami Whitewater Forest.

The Timberlake trails offers deep forest with very loud insect noice and good chance for different woodpeckers included Pilated, nuthatch and other forest birds.
Forest was very nice, have not expect such nice forest in this area, very close to Cincinnati.
To the Reserve belongs also a small lake ( Shaker Trace Wetland ) with open bush and gras area, where was also good bird watching.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back