• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (1 Viewer)

I forgot the Marbled Ducks. I have yet to look at the Snipe photos. Great Snipe do occur on migration and especially at Albufera. They dont normally stay long but they very rare but do occur most years.
I agree with 8/10 for the pies. Next time you are in Mallorca, you can bring one from Denby Dale! Good to meet you. Mike

Nice Sunday walk around S'Albufereta and Can Cuarassa after the stress from yesterday.

Usual stuff but great views of Marsh Harriers, Booted Eagles, Ravens, Kestrel, Red Legged Partridges, Cetti and fan tailed warblers, so many goldfinches and serins, Common Sandpiper and Kentish Plover.

Great weather.

Attachments

• IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
A brilliant day at the tower Albercutx today. It's too early of course but I guess we just can't wait to get started.
No migrant raptors but both Black and Griffon vultures seen, Balearic Warbler, male and female Blue rock thrush, Crag Martin, a couple of Peregrine and super-close views of an Alpine Accentor. The weather was perfect. Mike

Last edited:
A brilliant day at the tower Albercutx today. It's too early of course but I guess we just can't wait to get started.
No migrant raptors but both Black and Griffon vultures seen, Balearic Warbler, male and female Blue rock thrush, Crag Martin, a couple of Peregrine and super-close views of an Alpine Accentor. The weather was perfect. Mike

Brill photo ..almost as good as mine

Have a great spring watch..I will be back soon to defend the Big Year

Have fun and great birding

Mike S

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 63
A good number of Mediterranean gulls in the port of Palma today. The south coast around Palma seems the best place to catch up with this quite hard to see Gull. Cuitat Jardin is another good place as is Cala Gamba. Mike

"Pruny" (our local alpine accentor) is like an old friend who visit us every spring, just to be long time posing for all the photografs like a top model and eat some cereals bread as a reward.

I just love him!

Attachments

• Pruny1.jpg
    Pruny1.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Pruny2.jpg
    Pruny2.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Pruny3.jpg
    Pruny3.jpg
    940.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Pruny4.jpg
    Pruny4.jpg
    905.5 KB · Views: 36
Some great alpime accentor photos out there! G
Went to Mortix today but had to leave as some guards there telling me to do so!

Wen to Lluc and saw griffon , black vulture and booted but dipped on bonnelis - maybe later in the year!

Head home tomorrow good to meet fellow birders with a sense of humour!!

Cheers

Rob

After four attempts to identify a small slim-winged harrier coming to roost at Salobrar de Campos, the bird finally came to roost early enough to get good views and some pictures. A beautiful female Pallid Harrier! The bird spent some time over the saltmarsh hunting small passerines and mobbing a male Hen Harrier, before going to roost just after the sun set. Also 26 Marsh Harriers, a female Hen Harrier and two Knot there, which are also rare birds in Mallorca. Salobrar really is a fantastic site, with a lot of waders present and easily viewable at the moment (c300 Kentish Plover, c300 Dunlin, lots of little stints, several Little Ringed Plover etc.) I will keep an eye out for the Temmink's though Mike!

Jason

Attachments

• 1C0A4609_crop2.jpg
    1C0A4609_crop2.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 1C0A4678_crop.jpg
    1C0A4678_crop.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 1C0A4738_crop2.jpg
    1C0A4738_crop2.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 85
Some brilliant photos there Pep, it was a great day.
Thanks for posting all those details Jason. I'll swap my Temmininck's for your Knot any day! I will be at the roost later today and hope to catch up with the Pallid Harrier. There are millions of mosquitos there but luckily they don't seem to be biting at the moment. Just as well, you would be eaten alive with that many. Mike

"Pruny" (our local alpine accentor) is like an old friend who visit us every spring, just to be long time posing for all the photografs like a top model and eat some cereals bread as a reward.

I just love him!

Arrr..Awesome!

I am not worthy

Have a great Spring Pep

See you soon

Mike S

The evening roost of harriers at Salobrar de Campos is mighty impressive. The Marsh harriers just kept arriving and then, bang on time, the female Hen Harrier arrived quickly followed by a stunning male. They really are the most beautiful birds. I am utterly ashamed that these stunners are shot out of the sky in the U.K. It's a national disgrace.
I then saw a slim Harrier with a white rump but it was really too dark to make out. The flight seemed different.
Many thanks Jason for the information that allowed me to see these magnificent birds. Mike

I might have seen the Knot after all. Terrible photo but it was very distant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Last edited:
Mike, glad you enjoyed the roost, though unfortunate that the Pallid may have come in too late. It does sound promising, and these are the views I am most used to.

Unfortunately I think your wader is just a distant Dunlin.

Thanks Jason. I will be back at the roost again and I hope the Pallid Harrier will come a bit earlier next time. It really was quite dark. I can't think what else it could have been but the views were not good enough to be sure. It looked much more agile, slimmer and with a different jizz so it probably was the Pallid. Thanks again, it was a fabulous evening. Mike

This just illustrates what a prime site Salobrar is. Despite this it is still seriously underwatched. I guess most visiting birders understandably stay in the north but I think Salobrar can match Albufera. When the terns arrive, there is no better place to be. Collared pratincoles can be numerous and then there are all the waders. Two firsts for Mallorca have been found in the last couple of years and I shudder to think what is being missed. I am a regular but I hardly ever see other birders there. It is always worth a detour to pay it a visit. Mike

Last edited:
Tracker on a Bonelli's?

Returned back to sunny Rotherham yesterday and uploaded photos to laptop. Photo of the eagle seems to show a tracker (or maybe a leech!!) on it's chest. Thought it MIGHT be a Bonelli which is being monitored? Seen at the Boquer Valley on the 28th Feb at approx 3.00pm .

Attachments

• raptor 19 g.jpg
    raptor 19 g.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 84
  • raptor 22 g.jpg
    raptor 22 g.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 88
  • raptor 17 G.jpg
    raptor 17 G.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 107
Juvenile Bonelli - from small leaflet

Random post after doing a little more research - the small leaflet from Gola would seem to indicate a Juvenile Bonelli? Not a species that I'm familiar with so if anyone thinks differently?

Don't suppose a Nikon Binocular case got handed in anywhere? Lost mine on this particular trip to Boquer?

Added a couple of photos of Fan Tailed Warbler and Black Redstart which though common in Mallorca are not over hear!

Gargany seen by the stone bridge at S'Albufera on the 1st March

Attachments

• black redstart 6.jpg
    black redstart 6.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Fan tailed warbler 2.jpg
    Fan tailed warbler 2.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 59
  • gargany.jpg
    gargany.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 54
  • black redstart 3.jpg
    black redstart 3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 50
Nice photos ggshrike. I don't remember Gargany being reported yet this year so well done for that.
As I have a 100% failure record for identifying raptors from photos, I will, with reservation, confirm that your bird is a juvenile Bonelli's eagle. They are all fitted with trackers I believe so if you report the sighting, they can tell you where and when it was born. There are not too many sightings from Boquer so it's an interesting record. Hope the sun is shining in Rotherham. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back