• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Two beautiful Slender-billed gulls tonight at Cuitat Jardin. Few gulls are better looking than these I think. One was in full display which was interesting to watch. I hope they stay. Mike

First day

Hi all just into second day on the island today.
Great first day yesterday with Stone Curlew,GW Egret,Little Bittern,Kingfisher,Greenshank,Green Sand,Avocet,fan Tailed Warbler
and that was just from Balcony Of Hotel
Spent two hours in glorious sunshine up on the Tower trying to locate
the Alpine Accentor but no joy after a couple of hours looking.
Did have great views of Peregrine and Balearic Warbler though,the
later of which was doing his display flight and in fine song.
This was a bonus for my mate as a first for him with this great bird.
On down to Casa Velles which was quiet apart from RL Partridge ,Chaffinch and
Greenfinch.
A call into a deserted Formentor beach on the way back was rewarded with Black Redstarts,Firecrest,Song Thrush and Robin.
Awoke this morning to what looks like another fine day by the calls of Greenshank and Stone Curlew.
Don't Get much better.

Bob

Sounds pretty good Bob. Seeing Balearic Warbler in display is a rare treat. I hope the Alpine Accentor hasn't gone. It comes within two feet allowing super photos as you can see. I do hope there is one still around for you. There have been six seen, others have been seen from the car park at the Mirador below the tower and a couple have been seen on the retaining walls on the way up to the tower. Good luck, Mike.

With its light grey, super slim body, long neck and long legs, flattish forehead and long bill, it's a delight to see these Slender-billed gulls displaying on the rocks at Cuitat Jardin. If anyone tells me it's an Audouins Gull, I will jump off the tower. Mike

Attachments

• DSCN7600.jpg
    DSCN7600.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 103
With its light grey, super slim body, long neck and long legs, flattish forehead and long bill, it's a delight to see these Slender-billed gulls displaying on the rocks at Cuitat Jardin. If anyone tells me it's an Audouins Gull, I will jump off the tower. Mike

Looks like Juvenile Audoiuns Gull

Can I have your scope before you jump Mike?

I went to the tower and discovered that I don't like heights. Luckily, I have always been able to laugh at myself but I do think a combination of age and all the surgery has taken its toll. Clearly my identification skills are no longer reliable but I will continue to post all information on here and help visiting birders where I can. I will be meeting many of you later in the year.
Most importantly though, I will continue to love birding, especially on this glorious island. Mike

I went to the tower and discovered that I don't like heights. Luckily, I have always been able to laugh at myself but I do think a combination of age and all the surgery has taken its toll. Clearly my identification skills are no longer reliable but I will continue to post all information on here and help visiting birders where I can. I will be meeting many of you later in the year.
Most importantly though, I will continue to love birding, especially on this glorious island. Mike

Top man !

Fantastic Mike, please do continue to post here as its a really interesting thread for me - to compare how things are doing off eastern Med Iberia as opposed to where I am in far western Iberia. You're being too hard on yourself, I bet there's no-one more reliable in your area and we all have our ups and downs - I once IDeed a Corn Bunting as a Buzzard! :-O

Dont stop posting Mike, were all human, and this thread and your posts are invaluable a massive help and interest to us all. You do a great job.

If every birder who has made an error on ID were to join you up at the tower,the queue would be from the tower to Palma Airport.Your Input on this site Mike Is of great value to everyone who has a love of the island and is greatly appreciated.We would all be much poorer In our knowledge,without your help Mike.

ps; Hope to see you In July

That's really kind, many thanks everybody.
Just to redeem myself on one of them, I posted the wrong photo of the Gull. I was watching the two Slender-billed gulls but posted a photo of the Audouins next to them!
I have learnt a lot, I'm always slap-dash and don't look at things properly. I will take more time in future.
The roost tonight was not as good as a few days ago. Lots of Marsh Harrier and the female Hen Harrier came but no male and no Pallid Harrier. Still, it was a great evening with seven of the locals. Huge numbers of Dunlin and Kentish Plover. Also a Great white egret, Ringed and Little ringed Plover, one Red-rumped swallow and a possible Bluethroat but it was not seen well. Mike

That's really kind, many thanks everybody.
Just to redeem myself on one of them, I posted the wrong photo of the Gull. I was watching the two Slender-billed gulls but posted a photo of the Audouins next to them!

Does this mean I do not get the scope!!

Great job Mike - Keep up the good work

Ps I thought it was the right Gull ..just in the wrong place!

Mike S

Hi Mike, keep up the good work. I may not post much but I always keep up with what's about on Mallorca thanks to many of your posts.

I'm flying out tomorrow for a week's R & R and I have a few questions.
Where is the Harrier roost exactly? It may be obvious, of course, but I would like to visit it but without getting too close for the sake of the birds?

Prat d'Alcudia is mentioned a few times in the 2015 Bird Report. Where is it? I may know it by another name.

I believe that it's possible to start a walk at Lluc monastery? But on Sundays only. What can you tell me about that please?

I'll post what I see and hopefully our paths will cross somewhere.
Cheers. Brian

Second days birding on the island yesterday.
Another splendid warm sunny day with hardly a breath of wind.
Little Bittern was in its usual spot as I made my way to the car only about seven Metre away and it just stood frozen to the spot also two GW Egret on water as they had been yesterday morning too.
Had a quick look in Son Real mid morning as missus wanted to hit the shops at Can Pic.
Corn Bunting singing from wires at main entrance and seven Song Thrush in the fields to the North of car park.
Red Legged Partridge along the stone walls and a few male Serin doing their display flight and singing amongst the pines.
Lots of Robin about here too,never bothered going to the water hole hide as I had to meet up with friends at Albufera.
Counted five Nght Heron at the usual spot on the walk into Albufera and first Hoopoe of the trip flew from the trees on the left of us.
Yellow Wagtail in field from Spanish Gate and Song Thrush and Robin seemed to be everywhere again.
Quick look into Sa Roca hide but full house so made my way over to the new hide.
Great Crested Grebe was about the only bird of note here,I could see where this area must have been well flooded in the winter months.
Down to Bishop 1 hide next and I was very impressed with the work that has gone into clearing the channel down to Bishop Hides,reckon you could get the Queen Mary down the channel now lol.
Bishop 1 hide was surrounded by Chiffies,they were everywhere feeding up and making for great photo opportunities,close views of Mating Stilts,Snipe and two Yellow Wagtail along with a Grey Wagtail giving close views too.
Have to sign off here as just received text to say Three Accentor in Mirador car park now,a first for me as long as they don't do a one in the next half hour.

Bob

arrive on the island Tuesday. Staying in PP.
Hoping to find a variety of Orchids in flowers and some nice birds.
Will be using public transport. So any recommended Orchid sites appreciated.

Thanks
Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back