• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (3 Viewers)

A good day; with highlights as follows...

Boquer Valley - cracking, prolonged views of a pair of Balearic warblers, where the path begins to drop sharply down to the sea. Also, bee-eater (7), red-rumped swallow (2), wryneck, cirl bunting, whinchat (1 male by Finca), song thrush (2), blue rock thrush, woodchat shrike and 3 Moorish geckos (by lifting up the rocks!).

Pollensa - Bee-eater and black vulture over

Son Bosc (Depuradora) - short-toed lark (4), thekla lark and stone-curlew along the entrance road.

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a great day! We're planning Cuber on Saturday, but interested in the walk you mentioned from Mortitx. Did you park actually at the vineyard itself? Or is there a better place?

Hi Branwen

I parked at the Vineyard ( few people seem to park on main road and walk down but I actually parked in pull in c200m before vineyard gate where there was another car) - Then just walked down past actual vines ( on your left ) and after c10 mins come to Refugi hut and one of those ladder type stiles . Went over that and just keep going for hour or so.....good luck if you go

Chris

Thanks Hugh! I too saw the Great Reed near the mound. Also heard one in the woods on the path to Es C1. Saw 2 of the Garganey but sadly missed the Marbled.

And thank you Chris! Will let you know how we get on at Mortitx 😊

Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I either get there really early and bag the one outside the gates or I park at the vineyard and buy some wine. I then ask if it's ok to go for a walk which has always been fine. I know some people have had problems in the past, I once had my windscreen wipers removed. Mike

Hi All,

I'm coming over to PP on the 18th of June so I'm wondering what may be around then? We're staying at the Mar Senses and won't have a car. We normally come over at the end of April/beginning of May during migration so not really sure what is around later on. Would really love to find Scop's Owls again. Will they still be calling? Had some fabulous ones near the Singala a few years ago but don't think they are there anymore.

Thanks in advance
Rach

Thanks in advance

Parking at Mortitx is a nightmare. I either get there really early and bag the one outside the gates or I park at the vineyard and buy some wine. I then ask if it's ok to go for a walk which has always been fine. I know some people have had problems in the past, I once had my windscreen wipers removed. Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike!

This morning in Can Cullerassa (or Cuarrassa) showed little on the pools other than the usual Plovers and Stilts. A Spotted Crake crossed the path between the two pools twice at an hour interval so it seems to like the area. Then I had a male Whinchat by the second pool/hide.
Then onto PSW (Postage Stamp Wood) where activity was quite high. Both male and female Pied Flycatcher, Male Redstart, lots of Blackcap and Sardinain Warblers, a lone Robin was still there and what I think is a Wood Warbler, but given the latest exchanges on Chiffchaff and Willow warbler, I am not sure. See picture.

Attachments

• WoodWarbler.jpg
    WoodWarbler.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 121
what I think is a Wood Warbler, but given the latest exchanges on Chiffchaff and Willow warbler, I am not sure. See picture.

Its a Wood Warbler alright - nice. (supercilium shape, white -tipped tertails, very very long PP, white underparts....) Quite early I believe, at least the few we get in the spring in the Algarve tend to be late in April/early May - not sure in Mallorca, where its a bit more frequent than here.

Thanks Simon for confirming the Wood Warbler. A couple have been seen last week already and checking the Balearic Bird Report of the last 2 years the date is about spot on.

A flock of c. 40 Bee-eaters flew low and east over our villa in the north of Pollensa just now. A great sight and sound! A male Cirl Bunting was also singing from the garden.

Mid morning, from the viewpoint overlooking the Torrent de Pareis we watched a group of 16 Black Kites sit on a ridge before taking off and circling above. We weren't aware Black Kites were on the island, is anyone able to tell us how regular they are?

At Cuber Reservoir we had very nice views of 4 Black & 3 Griffon Vultures, along with Red Kite, 2 Booted Eagles, 10+ Raven and Water Pipit.

Penultimate day already- how the days fly by. First trip today to Albufereta where the GWEgret is still around showing nicely with Grey and Purple Herons nearby for comparison. Nothing very startling there but a nice place to go. On the island near the finca 3 Stone Curlews were out in the open, with a pair of Common Tern there as well. Also good to meet Ilya from this thread. Later on a drive up into the mountains for lunch and a walk near Lluc. It appears the vultures are still not going to cooperate for me this year as I could not find one! I did creep over the 100 species seen line with a singing Chaffinch, and there were also Firecrests and Crossbills nearby. Back to PP and down to Can Cuarassa where again the Crakes were not available, and I still have failed to See a Spotless Starling on the trip. However I was able to show a family from York a new bird, when a Water Pipit crept out on the pool without screens. Tomorrow I may get to the Boquer again. Hugh Matthews

Mid morning, from the viewpoint overlooking the Torrent de Pareis we watched a group of 16 Black Kites sit on a ridge before taking off and circling above. We weren't aware Black Kites were on the island, is anyone able to tell us how regular they are?

Black kites are a regular migrant on march / april, today a group of 18 black kites have left the island from the Tower of Albercuix to the north, going directly to the sea.

Trip to Cuber today, eventually arriving despite the insane amount of MAMILs. Several each of griffon and black vulture, two red kites, two ravens, LRPs, tawny pipit and song thrush.

Peregrine and a pair of booted eagles across the road north of our house at seaplane roundabout. Evening stroll up to Boquer gave several redstarts, willow warblers and stunning male rubicola stonechat in fig fields off first rbt towards Formentor. Also another song thrush in thistly field below finca Boquer.

tonight at 1915 watched a ringtail harrier circling high over Puig De Santa Maria, Pollensa, but a distant ringtail soaring very hard to honestly call ID wise - assume hen, montagus and pallid all equally possible this time of year?

(and actually if I had to call it Id say Monty's on structure )
C

Had a great morning at Albufera today...

From Cibollar 1: Marbled Duck, Collared Pratincole, 8 Little Stint, 49 Spotshanks, Water Pipit, 2 Garganey, hybrid Reef Heron x Little Egret (flew past) & hybrid BH Gull x Med Gull as well as the other usual birds.

Sa Roca: Temminck's Stint & Garganey.

By the visitor centre: male Little Bittern.

Jonny

Attachments

• IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3535.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3529.jpg
    IMG_3529.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Punta de N'Amer late this morning.
Wheatear (6) Thekla Lark (4), Willow Warbler, Linnets, Goldfinches, Sardinian Warblers, no Balearic heard, a Wryneck and Stone Curlews calling, nothing offshore besides Cormorants and a couple Audouins.

Attachments

• Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back