• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (2 Viewers)

Migration has slowed now with just one Honey Buzzard through at the tower, Albercutx today. The past week has seen good numbers of this magnificent raptor moving north. Also, an Egyptian Vulture showing most days. It's a great chance to catch up with this hard to see bird of prey, there are very few seen each year with only one pair known to breed. Two have been seen together but I have not heard whether they are known to be breeding nearby. Mike

Now is a good time to see that enigmatic and diminutive sea bird, the European Storm petrel. The east and south coasts are the best locations, in fact I don't know of any sightings away from them.
Punta de n'Amer, Porto Colom and even my local lighthouse at Porto Petro should produce a few birds each evening. I have never found one by scanning. It seems best to focus the telescope on a good patch and then wait for them to whizz past, they really do go like bullets.
I presume they are returning to the archipelago of Cabrera where they breed. Good luck, Mike

Birds seen (or heard) May 16th to 27th.

In and around Cala San Vicent/Pollenca/Formentor. A reasonable number of species, but fewer individual birds than in the last three years. Presumably because everything is so dry ... fewer insects to eat ... and so up the food chain.

Audouin’s Gull
Balearic Shearwater
Balearic Warbler
Black Vulture
Blackbird
Blackcap
Blue Rock Thrush
Blue Tit
Chaffinch
Coot
Corn Bunting
Crag Martin
Crossbill
Eleanora's Falcon
Egyptian Vulture
Fan-tailed warbler
Firecrest
Goldfinch
Great Tit
Greenfinch
Hobby
Honey Buzzard
Hoopoe
House Martin
House Sparrow
Kestrel
Linnet
Little Egret
Little Plover
Mallard
Moorhen
Nightingale
Peregrine
Raven
Red Kite
Sedge Warbler
Serin
Shag
Spotted Flycatcher
Stonechat
Swift
Wood Pigeon
Woodchat Shrike
Wren
Yellow-legged Gull
Yellow Wagtail - iberiae I think.

Our thanks to Mike for all the information he provides!

Its a rainy dull Bank Holiday Monday back here in Blighty so a good day to begin sorting through my Majorca pics from the first two weeks in May.
This was one of two Roller seen on the wires along the Cami De Lieraire road on the evening of 6th May,they hung around for quite a few days but most of the time they kept their distance.

Bob

Attachments

• roller-b.jpg
    roller-b.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 67
  • rollerbb.jpg
    rollerbb.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 54
  • roller2.jpg
    roller2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 57
  • ROLLER4.jpg
    ROLLER4.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 63
Nice views were to be had of Glossy Ibis,Squacco Heron & Cattle Egret around the S,Albufera Reserve on my frequent visits.
I dipped out on the Collared Flycatcher,even though i got a call telling me it was showing well on 1st May ,i thought it would sick around for a while.
How wrong I was.

Attachments

• cattle-egg.jpg
    cattle-egg.jpg
    707 KB · Views: 52
  • FLYBIS.jpg
    FLYBIS.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 68
  • ibis-b.jpg
    ibis-b.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 56
  • sqac-b.jpg
    sqac-b.jpg
    661.1 KB · Views: 51
  • sh-b.jpg
    sh-b.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 54
Some of the reed dwellers from S,Albufera,Male & Female Little Bitterns,Great Reed Warbler & and a few shots of the Viperine snakes which I watched from the Spanish Gate just over the third stone bridge.
There were about half a dozen of them visible & all different colours and sizes.

Attachments

• Gwe-b.jpg
    Gwe-b.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 77
  • LITBIT-SMAL.jpg
    LITBIT-SMAL.jpg
    684.7 KB · Views: 69
  • LITFEM-SML.jpg
    LITFEM-SML.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 62
  • viperb2.jpg
    viperb2.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 64
  • vipes-b.jpg
    vipes-b.jpg
    592.1 KB · Views: 69
A half day spent wandering round Mortix Estate on the 11th May gave me good but distant views of a pair of Bonelli Eagle with Black Vulture venturing a bit closer

Attachments

• bvb.jpg
    bvb.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 72
  • bon 2.JPG
    bon 2.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 99
  • bonel pair.JPG
    bonel pair.JPG
    503.8 KB · Views: 97
  • bonellie.JPG
    bonellie.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 102
And finally some of the other birds of Majorca from May 17
Another great stay on the Island and as always cant wait to return.

Bob

Attachments

• BWS.jpg
    BWS.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 63
  • boot-b.jpg
    boot-b.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 83
  • sard-b.jpg
    sard-b.jpg
    621.6 KB · Views: 83
  • woods-b.jpg
    woods-b.jpg
    546.8 KB · Views: 56
  • SERIN.jpg
    SERIN.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 64
4 nice breeding species in the mountains of Majorca

Yesterday, after a long steep walk to the top of the Teix mountain, between Valldemossa and Sóller, we had the opportunity to see 4 of the more scarce (specially 3) breeding birds in Majorca, all three building their nests in the tops of Tramuntana range.

We watched a couple of rock thrush, 4 o 5 males of spectacled warblers singing in their territories and a couple of wheatear, and severals tawny pipits.

It is hard and tired to walk up there above, but is worth.

Attachments

• 153_Coablanca.jpg
    153_Coablanca.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 200_PasseraVermella.jpg
    200_PasseraVermella.jpg
    960.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 111_TitinaEstiu.jpg
    111_TitinaEstiu.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 1111_BusqueretTrencaMates.jpg
    1111_BusqueretTrencaMates.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 116
Congratulations Pep! Very difficult birds to see here in Mallorca.
Jane and I are going next week so perhaps you could help us with directions when we meet on Saturday. Last year we went the wrong way and saw nothing. It didn't matter though, the view at the top was so spectacular. Mike

Just received news that a Spectacled Warbler was heard singing at Cuber but I don't know exactly where. If I get more news, I will post. Mike

At the beginning of May I had a short birding break on the island with my good friend John. This was my 16th visit, but only John's second, following his first, approximately 32 years ago! Since then John has travelled the world extensively, seeking birds, mammals, flora etc. Never the less, and for different reasons, we both had a really enjoyable time on the island and I get the impression that John won't be waiting another 62 years to visit.

We've put together some notes from our trip, which if I've clicked the right links should be attached to this message..

Attachments

• Mallorca 2017 Final pdf.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 175
Thanks a Stew and a John for a great report, you did very well in such a short time.
Glad you enjoyed it and it was good meeting you both, I very much enjoyed our outing together.
See you next time I hope and I will keep you updated on here.
All the best, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back